Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyland Identity Provider Server Database Migration Utility

Alan_Vidmar
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

HI all,

We're on EP3 v20.3.44.1000 and finishing up a few things with this environment before we look at moving on. One item we are trying to implement is the stand alone WorkView client while on EP3 (more questions about that in another thread).

According to the MRG the WorkView client requires Hyland IdP (version 2.8) and we're currently on 2.4.1. So we've upgraded our non-prod environments to the highest version of the Hyland IdP available for EP3 (2.10.1) according to the Matrix:
IAM - Foundation Version Compatibility Matrix (hyland.com)

The Hyland IdP 2.10.1 install and re-configuration went just fine and everything is running as expected in our non-prod environments.  Make sure you keep track of your client connection unique values unless you also like to to redo all of your clients config settings! Just replace the newly generated client connection values with your existing ones when done installing and configuring.

NOTE TO HYLAND: The Hyland IdP needs a real upgrade process, maybe Server Updater?

Anyway, I was looking over the Hyland IdP Operational database and I'm not seeing any differences between what we had initially installed back with v2.1.11. In fact the EFMIGRATIONSHISTORY table still shows these values: 20190712194257_Initialization 2.1.11-servicing-32099

So, I thought maybe the re-install did not upgrade the Hyland IdP Operational database, so I recall seeing the (undocumented in any MRG) "Hyland Identity Provider Server Database Migration Utility" on the local disk.

"C:\Program Files\Hyland\Hyland Identity Provider Server Database Migration Utility\Hyland.Identity.Migration.Utility.exe"

Given that this is non-prod I gave it a shot. After a few trials and errors, I eventually got it to run. NOTE: The built in help in that executable is not correct you cannot use the values of  "SQLSERVER" and "ORACLE". The values have to follow the same case sensitive format as described in the Hyland IdP MRG. "SQLServer" and "Oracle".

Anyway it ran, and from the looks of it did nothing. The EFMIGRATIONSHISTORY table still shows the same values: 20190712194257_Initialization 2.1.11-servicing-32099 and the rest of the schema matches what we have in Prod with 2.4.1.

So, what should we expect with Hyland IdP upgrades? Should the Operational database change? Should we get a new line in the EFMIGRATIONSHISTORY table showing the upgrade? The Hyland IdP MRG is lacking a lot of detail when it comes to upgrades.

Alan

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Alan Vidmar ,

The upgrade of the Operational Database is not needed with every version change of the Hyland IDP.  Currently it is only need when upgrading to 2.11.0 or higher from a lower version (Note: additional database upgrades might be required with later versions of the software where applicable).  The respective Hyland IDP MRG discusses the steps needed to perform the upgrade and update the HSIIDP schema.

Best wishes.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Alan Vidmar ,

The upgrade of the Operational Database is not needed with every version change of the Hyland IDP.  Currently it is only need when upgrading to 2.11.0 or higher from a lower version (Note: additional database upgrades might be required with later versions of the software where applicable).  The respective Hyland IDP MRG discusses the steps needed to perform the upgrade and update the HSIIDP schema.

Best wishes.

Thanks Adam. I have not looked at the 2.11.0 MRG for obvious reasons, but good to know that it had those upgrade steps outlined.

Yes, I agree with Alan that this is good to know. Especially since I know that in 2.11.0 they fixed it so that you no longer get the Header Too Large error. 🙂