cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How / where can I specify number of records to return?

Steve_Leija
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

How can I specify number of records to return in my Custom Query in the Custom Written SQL portion?  (SELECT TOP 250 for example)

OnBase Configuration > Custom Query > Settings > Custom Written SQL > Edit SQL  (From Clause, Where Clause, Order By Clause)

2 REPLIES 2

Austin_Barber1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no way to do a direct select statement and only found this after some trial and error.

I first tried to do an "OFFSET 0 ROWS FETCH NEXT 10 ROWS ONLY" in the order by clause thinking that would be an easy bypass. However, I came to realize that the custom query will first do a COUNT first on your query, and if it returns more than the amount allowed by your client viewer, it will error out or pop up with a message saying you are returning more rows allowed.
So next I came up with doing a select in the join clause on the keyword table to bring back the documents that I am searching for. The below will limit the search results to only 10 items from the keyword value that you are searching on. You would need to replace the hsi.keyitemXXX with the keyword table number that you are trying to find documents for and the keyvaluechar with the value you'd like to search. Another item to be aware of is that in the from clause custom query box you are limited to only 200 characters.  I ran into that when trying to put in multiple keyword tables. 
The other option would be to create a view in the database and reference that in the custom sql statement. 

Let me know if you have any questions about it. Hopefully, it will work for what you need it to.

FROM CLAUSE:
hsi.itemdata JOIN (SELECT TOP 10 itemnum,keyvaluechar FROM hsi.keyitemXXX where keyvaluechar = XXXXXXX) ki
ON hsi.itemdata.itemnum = ki.itemnum

WHERE CLAUSE:
hsi.itemdata.status <> 16

ORDER BY CLAUSE:
hsi.itemdata.itemnum

Also after poking around in the custom query table in the database, I saw they have a "addselectclause" column. Almost like they just need to enable it in the config menu for us. 

Melissa_Foster
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

If it's for admins and not end users, another thing I do is write the SQL I want in SSMS, then use that query to return the itemnums.  I use those item nums to populate this query:

From Clause:
hsi.itemdata
left join hsi.itemdatapage on hsi.itemdata.itemnum = hsi.itemdatapage.itemnum

Where Clause:
hsi.itemdata.itemnum in (
'1',
'2',

'3')