cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Update a New Keyword Value on Multiple Documents

Austin_Barber1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are currently on OnBase 18. How do add a new keyword field, and populate the data with a text file. I am adding a new field called hire date and would like to add data to all of the old documents that are missing it. We are talking thousands of documents. In the OnBase Configuration there is an item for existing documents. You can check the box to search for an existing document with matching keywords. If found append additional pages to existing document. Is there something similar to where I could create a text or csv file, put in their co-worker ID number, add the new keyword field, then push that through DIP to add the new keyword? The other option that comes to mine is inserting the keyword into SQL. I could re-index them but I feel like that may take a lot longer than doing the import process or SQL update route. Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Kevin_Hughes
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Austin,

The OnBase product offers a process called Keyword Update, which allows you the capability of updating multiple documents by use of CSV file.  Sometimes referred to Global Keyword Update.  This process can be performed against a single document type or amongst all documents in the system, the difference being that if using against all document types, the document you want to update would require the document type name as a part of the CSV file.  If only a single document type or group of documents then you only need the Search KW and the updated KW value you want to add.

Here is the link to the MRG for Keyword Update.
This does require a license and you will need to apply a new license certificate, but the license is free, just need to request from your Account Manager.

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/71359-keyword-update-onbase-foundation-ep2-module-referen...

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kevin_Hughes
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Austin,

The OnBase product offers a process called Keyword Update, which allows you the capability of updating multiple documents by use of CSV file.  Sometimes referred to Global Keyword Update.  This process can be performed against a single document type or amongst all documents in the system, the difference being that if using against all document types, the document you want to update would require the document type name as a part of the CSV file.  If only a single document type or group of documents then you only need the Search KW and the updated KW value you want to add.

Here is the link to the MRG for Keyword Update.
This does require a license and you will need to apply a new license certificate, but the license is free, just need to request from your Account Manager.

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/71359-keyword-update-onbase-foundation-ep2-module-referen...

Thanks for your quick response! I've submitted a support ticket and will read over the MRG. I was able to setup an aufofill keyword set to help process the missing data through an import process. 

As a follow up, we use KW Updater as well.  One limitation of KW Updater is you cannot update documents based on its unique "Document Handle."  As a workaround to this, we created a keyword called Doc_Handle and populated it w/ the Document Handle value (using a workflow).  Once that was done, we can now use KW Updater to update items based on the Doc_Handle value (which is identical to Document Handle), giving us the ability to update documents based on its unique ID number.

Sandy_Nielsen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Austin:

We are also on OnBase18 and have had need to update large quantities of keywords after our migration to OnBase from Perceptive Content.  Sometimes it's populating new KW with a fixed value, sometimes copying the value from another field based on criteria.

I create a System Task in Studio and run it on the Server.  Using a task allows me to add logic where needed.  It does not require separate licensing.  

I'd be happy to share more details if your interested.