cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set security keyword for a user group(s) where the value is <<null>></null>

Kimberley_McKen
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Keyword is Alphanumeric  (1) with a data set of Y, N

Not all documents have the keyword populated with a value, thus they are <<null>>

I have user groups, where the user will be in both groups.

I want USER GROUP A to have access to all docs, with the value Y, N or Null
I want USER GROUP B to only have access to those with a value of N

The question is how do you define the null value in the security keyword setup?

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Nelliga
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

KMcKenna,

Did you ever get any answers or figure this out?

I am doing something very similar but taking sort of the opposite approach. Call the keyword RestrictedFile and it is alphanumeric  (1) with dataset {Y,N} as you specified. On existing documents the keyword value is, of course, NULL. What i have done is create a user group that can access restricted files, call it RestrictedFileAccess. RestrictedFileAccess is granted to the various document types with no security keyword processing. The "regular" user group that should not have access to restricted files gets a security keyword setting of Not Equal to Y. Thus NULL and N are treated logically as 'this file is not restricted' and Y is used to control access.

I elected this approach because dealing with all the existing documents with NULL keyword is difficult. We have relatively few restricted files so we can change any existing files that become restricted. I also plan to make RestrictedFile a required required keyword and default it to N.

There is a fair bit about security keywords in the System Administrator MRG including special considerations for using not equal. This seems to work the best in our environment though i have not yet implemented it in production.

I would be interested to know what you came up with for your solution.

what version are you on? we are on 17 and the NULL value is not working for us. It only shows the N value and hides the NULL still.

Roberto_Vazquez
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

KMcKenna how did you end up doing it? same as Michael P Nelligan?