cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide/Recommendations for Development Enviroment test and approval

Claudia_Castro
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making
Hi All,I've been assigned to test the Development Environment of our OnBase System implementation that is being configured, my questions is if there any documentation with information for how or what is needed to be tested in this environment?Thanks in Advance.
1 REPLY 1

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for the post.

First step is to determine what you mean by Development Environment.  Typically when referring to Development, this is a system which is not necessarily similar to your Production Environment.  The Development Environment may share the same configuration (ie Document Types, Keyword Types, Workflows, etc) as your Production Environment, however the architecture (ie servers hosting the system, resources on the servers, number of servers, etc) is typically different since it is only used for development (building and proving out a solution) and basic testing.  I like to think of a Development Environment as a "scratch" environment which could be easily replaced.  A User Acceptance Testing (UAT/QA) Environment is typically a mimic/clone of the Production Environment running with similar architecture and resources in order to allow for full testing by users of new solutions and configurations.  The UAT environment is also integrated with external systems (where applicable) whereas the Development Environment is typically not integrated.

In your case knowing which environment you are referring to will help determine what is needed for testing.  For testing, you need to know your system.  There is no set list of items which need to be tested as each solution has its own variations.  If you know your system and you know how your users are using the system, you can then build yourself a test plan in order to determine if the outcome of a particular test is what you are expecting.  My recommendation would be to build a well documented test plan being as specific as possible.  This exercise will help you (or others) tasked with testing the system now as well as in the future.  Also, it will give you a base for building future test plans.

Take care,