cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form Information From Multiple Forms Contained in 1 Email

Sherry_Roark
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Does anyone know if you can put information from multiple forms into one email?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

The most common approach I have seen is to leverage workflow to build out a Workflow Property with all the combined contents.

The rules and actions that make this possible include, but are not limited to:

• Action: Set Property Value = lets you copy keyword values to WF Properties
  • Action: Set Property to Expression = allows common script functions such as Mid(), Left(), and CStr(); In this business case it is where you would combine your properties and formatting before emailing
  • Action: Set Property To/From Unity Form Field = if you are using uforms, this is how you get nonkeyword fields to store in a property
  • Rule: Related Item Exists = allows you to find related documents, forms, and workview objects in the system; (Use Related Item for Tasks setting is super helpful here)
  • Action: Send Notification = allows you to send an email from workflow; include %V<workflowpropertynameshouldbetypedhere> to send your combined data

A psuedo set of logic would probably follow the order of:

1. driving form (application?) enters lifecycle
  2. Rule checks for related form 1 (repeat for each related form) - True = continue; False = break processing and wait for n time periods
  3. All Forms found
  4. Related Item exist (use for tasks=checked)?
  5. True = Set property to values of keyword and non keyword fields - REPEAT for each document
  6. Last Doc? True = Send Email with combined property

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

The most common approach I have seen is to leverage workflow to build out a Workflow Property with all the combined contents.

The rules and actions that make this possible include, but are not limited to:

• Action: Set Property Value = lets you copy keyword values to WF Properties
  • Action: Set Property to Expression = allows common script functions such as Mid(), Left(), and CStr(); In this business case it is where you would combine your properties and formatting before emailing
  • Action: Set Property To/From Unity Form Field = if you are using uforms, this is how you get nonkeyword fields to store in a property
  • Rule: Related Item Exists = allows you to find related documents, forms, and workview objects in the system; (Use Related Item for Tasks setting is super helpful here)
  • Action: Send Notification = allows you to send an email from workflow; include %V<workflowpropertynameshouldbetypedhere> to send your combined data

A psuedo set of logic would probably follow the order of:

1. driving form (application?) enters lifecycle
  2. Rule checks for related form 1 (repeat for each related form) - True = continue; False = break processing and wait for n time periods
  3. All Forms found
  4. Related Item exist (use for tasks=checked)?
  5. True = Set property to values of keyword and non keyword fields - REPEAT for each document
  6. Last Doc? True = Send Email with combined property

Alright I have been testing and I have an issue. It doesn't combine the properties. Can you give me some more information about what expression would do this and is there something specific I need to add to the property in my email notification?

It comes down to using %V to call out the property values.

My preferred way to test heavy use of properties is to build all my logic in an ad hoc task and repeatedly use Message boxes to test the contents of my properties. Here is an example where I was testing moving load balanced users assignments:

Sometimes you will need to convert values to a string data type by wrapping a CStr() function. For example, I have stored a currency in a property called propDollarAmount, then I would use CStr(%VpropDollarAmount) to turn it into text.

The same %V token works in emails both formatted and unformatted. Here is an example where I am building the body of an email that gives me the count of documents in a workflow queue and then a list of all the document names. My property expression is just doing simple string concactenation (like MS Excel).

Then when I call my notification, I simply use my property:

I'm understanding more. Mine is a keyword that is stored on each document. I have the related document based on the user and all of them are showing up as a related document. So, I just need to have the expression capture the keyword from each form and add it to the email. I've done the first / last but it doesn't populate from each form.

By the way thanks for helping me.