cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Text and Highlights from plaintext reports

Peter_Hoeft
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Does anybody know if there's a way to export highlights from plain-text reports in Director?  I'd like to externally consider a highlight's comments, and compare it to the text that has been highlighted.

EDIT:

Ok - let me provide a bit more context of what I'm looking for here:  I want to export an entire text report that has highlights.  I want to grab the metadata from the highlighted note (e.g. the note comments, who wrote them, the time stamp, and which portion of the document was highlighted), and use all this data across multiple years of reports.  How can I get the following data dump:

Plaintext report (easy)
Highlight note contents
Plaintext report's content that's been highlighted
Highlight Note's author

Thanks for your consideration!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Peter_Hoeft
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Okokokk - I get it.  Weird question; whatever.  But here's how you do it if you need to.

I ran a SELECT statement across all tables and toss all the table names into notepad ++ for easy searching

```SQL

SELECT  *FROM  INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES 

```

With all these results in notepad++, I searched first for "highlight", then "note" across all table names.  After looking at the columns in HSI.notetable, I determined this table likely has my data.

I ran a query to grab all the highlights across a control document with document handle XYZ.

```SQL

SELECT * FROM HSI.notetable WHERE HSI.notetable.itemnum = XYZ

```

This yielded all the highlights across the report, with the highlight location listed in the [noteyposrow] column.  The end of the note can be determined by adding the [noteylen] to the value of [noteyposrow].

Your welcome, past self.  Now get some real work done.

View answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Peter_Hoeft
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Okokokk - I get it.  Weird question; whatever.  But here's how you do it if you need to.

I ran a SELECT statement across all tables and toss all the table names into notepad ++ for easy searching

```SQL

SELECT  *FROM  INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES 

```

With all these results in notepad++, I searched first for "highlight", then "note" across all table names.  After looking at the columns in HSI.notetable, I determined this table likely has my data.

I ran a query to grab all the highlights across a control document with document handle XYZ.

```SQL

SELECT * FROM HSI.notetable WHERE HSI.notetable.itemnum = XYZ

```

This yielded all the highlights across the report, with the highlight location listed in the [noteyposrow] column.  The end of the note can be determined by adding the [noteylen] to the value of [noteyposrow].

Your welcome, past self.  Now get some real work done.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.