Jim_Baad
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Jim_Baad_0-1729634036301.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Well, I know that is not true since Hyland hasn't been around that long... yet.  😉  But I am assuming that you have a large configuration.  Are you connecting via a direct database connection OR via the Application Server?

Kevin_Perron
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Which is the better option for connecting for those of us who never go into the office?  Or are not co-located with our systems?  Maybe a better question is, what is Hyland's recommendations along with pros and cons for each connection type?  

We have a large configuration with around 800 lifecycles, 100 applications, etc.

KP

Hey @Kevin_Perron !

The main consideration is the database traffic (ADO.NET traffic, but you can think of the OnBase Thick Client and ODBC traffic).  Database traffic is going to be more chatty than SOA HTTP traffic.  Meaning if you connect via Local, then you are going to make direct database requests from the OnBase Studio client to the database versus using the Application Server where the OnBase Studio client is connecting to the Application Server via HTTP(S) and then the Application Server is making direct database requests.  More than anything it depends on your network latency to the database server.

If you are remote then your latency will be higher and a Local (direct database) connection won't likely perform as well.  This is where the connection via the Application Server can improve performance.  However, what I do is remote to a VM which is local to the database (e.g. on network) and run OnBase Studio there with a Local connection.

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/Studio/English/Foundation-22.1/Studio/Studio-Administration/Conn... 

Hope this helps.

Thanks @AdamShaneHyland, that is pretty much what I expected.  I can remote to the different servers in the 4 environments, but I prefer to have multiple studio sessions across multiple monitors so I run locally via the app server.

KP