Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Instant File Initialization

Carlos_Pineiro
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello Guys, 

Is Enabling Instant File Initialization reccomended for Onbase SQL Databases no matter the size of the Data Files?

I did not see anything related to this in the Database MRG. 

Please let me know if this will help or not help performance using Onbase SQL Database. 

Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Carlos,

Hyland does not have an official recommendation on Instant File Initialization in SQL Server as the feature is transparent to the OnBase application and wouldn't affect the operation of the application.

I'd suggest reading through the Microsoft documentation on the feature so that you're aware of the benefits and potential downsides of the feature - specifically that it can improve performance of data file creation, data file auto growth and restoration of a database or file group, however there are some potential security considerations as deleted disk content is not 'zeroed' out.

If you're having frequent auto growth (even if it isn't currently causing a performance issue), I'd also suggest looking through our documentation on pre-sizing your data files and auto growth settings to avoid that costly regular growth and potential fragmentation. Ideally, your data files should not grow frequently.

Hope that helps.

Ansley

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.