cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution Service process stability in OnBase 17.

Jim_Adamich
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Issue

When the Distribution Service encounters an exception in the mail sending code it will abort the data source thread. If the service is only monitoring a single data source, the process will exit.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Jim_Adamich
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Resolution
SCR #288706 - Update Distribution Service shutdown from mail server connection problems to allow for Automatic Restart available in OnBase 17.0.0.61 and later. The team refactored error handling to reduce the number of exit cases. In addition, when the service encounters an exception and exits the automatic restart feature in Windows will be useful.

For OnBase 18 the team is refactoring the communication layer to prevent service exit in all but extreme cases. For updates on our progress, please contact your first line of support and let them know you are interested in SCR #285359 - When communication with the mail server is interrupted, such as a network issue or the mail server is not responding, the service should not be stopped on the first failure.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jim_Adamich
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Resolution
SCR #288706 - Update Distribution Service shutdown from mail server connection problems to allow for Automatic Restart available in OnBase 17.0.0.61 and later. The team refactored error handling to reduce the number of exit cases. In addition, when the service encounters an exception and exits the automatic restart feature in Windows will be useful.

For OnBase 18 the team is refactoring the communication layer to prevent service exit in all but extreme cases. For updates on our progress, please contact your first line of support and let them know you are interested in SCR #285359 - When communication with the mail server is interrupted, such as a network issue or the mail server is not responding, the service should not be stopped on the first failure.

Hey Jim. My 17.0.1.71 distribution service shuts down nightly when my DB backups run. I have the service configured to restart automatically, but that isn't working. The service won't restart.

I can schedule a job to restart the service automatically, but if I'm reading your post correctly, I shouldn't have to do that.

Am I reading that correctly?

We have a similar problem where our Distribution Service shuts down (gracefully, does NOT fail so as to trigger a service restart) on each of our 4 environments every Sunday morning at various times. We have not been able to identify a problem connecting to the email relay.

We would like to know if there is a workaround in v17.

Corey_Jenkins
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

So there is no current fix for this in OnBase 17?