cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification Failures

Richard_Otis
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I've setup a workflow process to send out notifications to our Vendors.  What I have a question about is how would we handle instances of say a bad e-mail address.  

I thought I could use the 'Save the Distribution id' under the tracking tab for sending notifications and then check that distribution id to see if it failed.  

That all seemed to be ok until I started trying bad e-mail addresses.  It seems as though if there's an address the distribution server says all is good.

Is there something I might be missing to check for bad e-mail address that would normally get returned?  

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Melissa_Koltisk
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Richard,

Distribution Service has some basic tracking of emails in the Unity Management Console to see if it sent successfully, failed, or recipients received the email as much as the SMTP/Mail server allows.

For example:

The sent email is addressed to x@y.z. When the SMTP returns a “Mailbox Unavailable” message, the email is marked as “Failed” in the database. However, the SMTP server may return a “Success” response instead of unavailable. In that case, the email will be marked as “Success / Sent” in the database even though the email address does not exist.

Because the Distribution Service relies on the response from the SMTP server, it is impossible to know which email addresses exist.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

In OnBase 18 and above you can find information about failed emails in the Distribution Service's Administration Dashboard. This is accessible via the Unity Management Console:

f73a85d17fe24720a579c1b93c1d603a

2b1bb15e67434d39b1287aabe50f3279

Further information about the Distribution Service Administration Dashboard may be found in the Module Reference Guide (MRG) for your OnBase release. And details of how to install the Unity Management Console may be found in the Unity Scheduler MRG.

Distribution Service will queue notifications for the mail server to send. In cases of bad email addresses you may get more detailed error messages from the mail server in the Diagnostics Console: but the exact form of these depends on the mail server.

Also, a failed email does not always give an error. In some cases you'll get a message undeliverable  response (perhaps days) later; in other cases you'll get nothing. It all depends on the mail system and network details. In such cases Distribution Service will record a successful send.

Hey @Paul Lloyd ,

It would be great if you could right-click a message and tell it to retry/resend the message. 🙂

Melissa_Koltisk
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Richard,

Distribution Service has some basic tracking of emails in the Unity Management Console to see if it sent successfully, failed, or recipients received the email as much as the SMTP/Mail server allows.

For example:

The sent email is addressed to x@y.z. When the SMTP returns a “Mailbox Unavailable” message, the email is marked as “Failed” in the database. However, the SMTP server may return a “Success” response instead of unavailable. In that case, the email will be marked as “Success / Sent” in the database even though the email address does not exist.

Because the Distribution Service relies on the response from the SMTP server, it is impossible to know which email addresses exist.