cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostics Console Firewall Information?

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Assume that all traffic is currently blocked between a client PC running Diagnostics Console in remote mode and the OnBase app server running the Diagnostics Service. What firewall rules would need to be added to allow the client PC full access to Diagnostics Console? I believe the traffic is sent from the client to the server on port 8989, but what about the traffic from the server back to the client?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Mike_Kovacina
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi John,

I haven't found anything new out yet. 
I think contacting support would be the appropriate course of action at the moment.

One last question, are either of the firewalls doing NAT? 
If so, it is a known limitiation with Microsoft .NET Remoting that NAT firewalls can be problematic.
And I am not necessarily saying that this is the cause of this problem, just basically documenting a fact for the forum.

Marcus_Christi6
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

As an aside, and strictly as an opinion, I think your firewall adminstrator isn't understanding what is being asked. 

In an internal LAN, it is rather extreme to lock a firewall down such that it wants one port in and one port out.  One port in might make sense if for nothing else than tracking the inbound, but once you've accepted the requests from that port, it really shouldn't matter what the destination port is (stateful firewall).  You prioritize getting the information to the destination and want to make sure it always gets there no matter what, once you've designated it as allowed via the inbound port.  If you ever go to Unity or Web client you're likely to run into the same issue, as Hyland is pushing toward the application server methodology rather than local ODBC. (Speaking of, do you use either client today and do they work ok?)

If they are convinced stateful firewall is enabled then there the issue resides with the trust between the two firewalls.  The second firewall is not properly funneling the data through.  It would probably work if your first firewall had inbound port isolated with stateful enabled, and the second firewall open but configured to receive traffic only from the first firewall.