Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database migration

Daniel_Meadows
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Team,

Is there any documentation available that I could pass along to a customer that covers moving the DB to another server? Maybe a general guide or checklist type of thing. Not much said in the reference guide. 

2 REPLIES 2

Scott_Johnson3
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi Daniel,

I wish there was when I made the move last year.  The one suggestion would be to use the backup and restore method not detach/attach method.  It was must more pain free after lots of testing.  When you roll out the new ODBC driver and DSN, change you DSN name so you have an easy roll back path if the upgrade does not go well and you can roll them out early.  Final note,  TEST, TEST, TEST!

Good luck

Scott

Michael_Terrybe
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I would agree with the backup/restore. Here are some high level steps for a database migration:

1.  Setup new SQL Instance with Hyland Best Practices (Refer to database reference guide)

2.  Shut down OnBase Production Environment

3.  Backup and Restore database to new SQL instance

4.  Verify SQL database settings are set to Hyland Best Practices (Refer to database reference guide)

5.  Run RecreateDBUsers Hyland utility to create default OnBase logins, users, and permissions in SQL

6.  Ensure that SQL maintenance plans are setup and properly configured on new SQL instance (Refer to database reference guide)

7.  Point servers and workstations to new SQL server (Primarily ADO.NET connections and ODBCs)