cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Mass Document Types

Not applicable

I know this question has been asked numerous times.  But I feel the need to ask it again.  We are in the process of implementing a new process with OnBase.  This process will call for the creation of over 2,000 new document types.  (Yes, I know it is a lot, but that is the requirement.)  Has anyone come up with a way to quickly add document types into configuration?  Hyland, is there a utility that can be used to accomplish this?

11 REPLIES 11

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

There are a few ways you could do it. The first is with the Copy function. It works particularly well when many document types share the same properties (keywords, security, auto name, cross references, etc.) The only thing to watch out for is if you Word, Excel or Outlook and have AUTOCORRECT enabled you need to watch out for replaced hyphens, quotes and double quotes, which can be replaced with non-ASCII variants. 

The second would be with some sort of keyboard automation tool, like AutoIT. Here I would still rely on the Copy function. However, knowing this solution will potentially save LOTS of time if you need to make modifications to the 2000 document types.

The last way that could be possible but would take some research is using the Workflow Export/Import function. You would need to understand the XML structure in order to create your own XML file. This may also be a viable way to implement mass changes.

Good luck!

Not applicable

I will look into the autoIt software.  I did also look into the workflow export import option and I am still looking into it.  Thank you for your recommendations.

Brian_Karcher1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Are you talking about copying between environments? If you are then there is a trick I use. Say you create all 2,000 in a Dev/Test database.

Then create a COLD format in your Dev/Test Config, adding in all the doctypes you want to copy, but don't define any COLD formatting. Then use the Import>Process Export>COLD export. Then on your Prod system, do an Import>Process Export>COLD Import from Config.

Not applicable

No, I'm talking about copying between environments.

Not applicable

[quote user="Sherri"]

No, I'm talking about copying between environments.

Sorry I meant that "I'm not talking about copying between environments"