cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Mass Document Types

Not applicable

I know this question has been asked numerous times.  But I feel the need to ask it again.  We are in the process of implementing a new process with OnBase.  This process will call for the creation of over 2,000 new document types.  (Yes, I know it is a lot, but that is the requirement.)  Has anyone come up with a way to quickly add document types into configuration?  Hyland, is there a utility that can be used to accomplish this?

11 REPLIES 11

Nathan_Jones3
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Check out the "Copy" action on the Document Types configuration screen.  Once you've created the first doctype, you can copy the doctype and give it a new name.  Also, when you realize after you've setup a few thousand document types that you need to make a change to all of them, you'll want to know about the -DTGAPPLY switch in order to update entire doctype groups at once rather than edit each doctype individually.

But the analyst (and administrator) in me says, 2,000--are you absolutely sure you need that many?  You can't use keywords instead to differentiate the documents? Or something?!?

Not applicable

Yes, I know about the copy function and the -DTGApply.  The analyst in me also says 2,000 is to many, but it seems I can't get around it.  So I am hoping someone may know of another way to do this.

Brian_Karcher1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We have just under 2,000 doctypes and about 1,300 keywords. The only way we are aware of is manual creation. The Copy feature is most helpful. And actually it really doesn't take too much time using the Copy button. If you get to it, you probably could finish the task faster than getting a tool anyway.

But if you insist on a tool, I would look at creating something in an API. There is an old API feature called "mzsysCreateDocumentType". Not sure if there is a Unity equivalent.

Dean_Johnson
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Sherri,

I know you said it is a requirement but have you suggested a few less document types and maybe a Keyword that is "TYPE OF..." and have all the different Docyment Type options there for them to choose from? Just another thought.

Dean