Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Workflow Flowchart

Josh_Belmonte
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas for converting a life cycle into a flow chart?

We have a rather complex Workflow structure with multiple life cycles. These life cycles have lengthy Rules-Action scenarios which sometimes go deeper than 10 levels.

We are looking to analyze this structure via flow charting in order to eliminate redundancies and clean house. I have attempted to use Workflow export data but it is not easy data to work with. I have also taken screenshots of workflow config but this is lacking specific action data.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

(OnBase 12.0.1)

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

I once inherited a semingly innocent 3 queue Life Cycle, that was untill I expanded the tree and ended up with over 300 unique rules and actions, nested and burried. I had to understand the entire system before I could update any logic.

I utilized MS Visio to draw out each step and document the logic. It actually only took me about an hour. I did find that much of the logic was actually not being used (it was just admin tools created by the former WF Admin under ad hoc user tasks).

I paid particular attention to the Actions Transition Document and Add/Remove Document to Life Cycle. These really worked well as inidcators for connector lines in Visio. Zooming out, I drew outline boxes around the grouped flowchart symbols to indicate queues. Going out even further I was able to group out my life cycles.

I've not found an easier way to do this. Perhaps someone else has a better method.

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

If you are using Version 12, you can use the tool called "Workflow Studio" to create technical documentation that shows a visual of the workflow LifeCycle as well as the steps involved in each Ad Hoc Task, Timer, etc.

Otherwise, you've done about the easiest way to do it.

Cheers,
Seth

Jeremy_Negrey
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

If your organization has Premium Subscription on training.onbase.com, there is brand-new course on Workflow Studio that just went live this morning, and it contains information on using the technical documentation feature.

https://training.onbase.com/PremiumCourse.aspx?ID=800

Good luck!

Jeremy