cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Spikes - AppServer64

Juan_Trevino
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We currently have two app servers (not load balanced), one being the primary connection for all Unity clients.  We have several groups scanning into OnBase, including some custom barcode processes we have to utilize to read/route the documents.  While scanning, other groups may be importing documents into Unity via click-and-drag from file shares or Outlook.  We do have a handful of external autofills being used as well as several scan queues.  Most users are scanning in grayscale.

Several times a week we are noticing our primary app server has 99-100% CPU utilization for a sustained amount of time.  During those events Unity users are locked out and all imports/indexes freeze.  The only way to "resolve" is to recycle appserver64 on that app server.

The first occurrence was back in December 2019, again in January 2020 and then about once a month until June of this year.  Suddenly we are getting 5-8/week.  Given this locks out users, I am hoping someone has had a similar battle with OnBase.

v18.0.1.64

2 REPLIES 2

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Juan Trevino ,

Without knowing specifically what the users are doing at the time of the Application Server CPU spikes, I would assume that you have reached a point where you need to scale up (more resources) or out (more servers in a load balanced environment).

One option would be to split up your Application Servers by profile.  For instance, all of your Unity Clients would connect to one Application Server running under one Application Pool, while all of your Web Servers connect to a different Application Server running under another Application Pool. 

Possibly, you could create different Application Server's for specific user functionality such as Scanning Users access one Application Server under another Application Pool from the general Unity Client users.

Take care.

Juan_Trevino
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Our second app server, app02, is only used by Unity clients.  All web client users are pointed to app01.  For clarification, app01 and app02 are different Windows servers entirely.  Each Windows Server has 1 appserver in IIS.  That being said, unless we expand out either servers or app pools for each business line it would be difficult to separate out.

I am more curious if there is something with PDF>TIFF conversion (for barcode recognition), Mailbox Importer (runs on a processing server) or other known CPU spikes around the 18.0.1.64 version or if others have encountered something similar.  I know environment plays a big role sometimes, but hoping someone has seen something similar.