cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected vs. Disconnected Mode

Matt_Savigear
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Is there a technical discussion available on the implications of connecting in connected mode vs. disconnected mode as noted in the SDK under "Core Query API Licensing and Unity"?

I can see the basic guidelines here on when you might want to use each method, but I'm keen to understand the underlying differences at the application server for each option.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Tyler_Sorber
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Matt

To help clarify on this topic, I do not think that it is appropriate to say that there is a "Connected" and "Disconnected" Mode within the API.  In all cases, the API is connected to the Application Server.

In more detail, the use of the DisconnectedMode Property from the AuthenticationProperties Object is used primarily for QueryMetering Application.  In this case, a Minimum and Maximum amount of connections can be set.  Being that QueryMetering is more of a Usage Based License, Applications can definitely see negative performance when a large amount of users are connecting.  More information on this can be found within the SDK under 'Home / Programmer Guide / Connecting and Disconnecting / Connection Methods / Connecting to Unity Using Query Metering' on setting this up.

If there are specific questions on the business case, or the use of Disconnected Mode, please feel free to contact API Support at APISupport@onbase.com, and we can open an issue ticket, given that your organization is API Certified. 

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tyler_Sorber
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Matt

To help clarify on this topic, I do not think that it is appropriate to say that there is a "Connected" and "Disconnected" Mode within the API.  In all cases, the API is connected to the Application Server.

In more detail, the use of the DisconnectedMode Property from the AuthenticationProperties Object is used primarily for QueryMetering Application.  In this case, a Minimum and Maximum amount of connections can be set.  Being that QueryMetering is more of a Usage Based License, Applications can definitely see negative performance when a large amount of users are connecting.  More information on this can be found within the SDK under 'Home / Programmer Guide / Connecting and Disconnecting / Connection Methods / Connecting to Unity Using Query Metering' on setting this up.

If there are specific questions on the business case, or the use of Disconnected Mode, please feel free to contact API Support at APISupport@onbase.com, and we can open an issue ticket, given that your organization is API Certified. 

To add to what Tyler said, it is called Disconnected mode because it is stateless. Meaning that the Session is not handled by the Unity API Application, but instead by the Application Server, typically using a session pool.