cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression (or not) of image files

David_Juhlin
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

We have a request to store photos "in their original format", without compression, etc.

I know that OnBase will generally compress text and other files, and I see in the MRG that we can set INI settings (for the Thick Client) or CompressMode, but before I spend a lot of time testing, I hope someone has a definitive answer to this question:

How can we ensure these photos (most likely JPEG files) are not compressed/altered when they are stored in OnBase?

(Does it matter if the photos are swept into a scan queue vs imported? Does the use of the Thick Client vs Unity Client have an impact?) 

Thanks,
David

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Sean_Killian
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi, David,

I highly recommend reaching out to your first line of support to determine whether or not you can guarantee images are not re-converted/compressed after import.

You could try hashing an image, importing it, exporting it, and then hashing the exported copy to see if it's the same actual image, but even if it is, I would want a guarantee from Hyland that that behavior won't change in the future.

I'm honestly not sure if files stored in the Image File Format are ever changed, but I know custom file formats don't.  We store binary files in OnBase and they don't change between import and export, so what you could do is define your own image file format and import documents under that format. This might be unnecessary if Image File Formats also don't change, though.

Something else worth noting:  The application or web servers have settings to dynamically recompress images when users open them.  I doubt that affects the image that gets downloaded if you send to file- it may only be the viewer -but if you use the web client, I recommend checking with Hyland on that, too.

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Well, I do want to make sure to note on this that JPEG's are already a compressed file. So technically when you are storing the files as JPEG's then you are storing them as compressed files.

However, if you are storing documents in the Image File Format (TIF) then those aren't compressed and they can be if you would like them to be.

Overall, it just depends on the type of file and whether it can be compressed or not.

So I would work on reviewing all of the different file formats of the documents you currently have stored in OnBase and then determining whether they can be compressed or not.

I know this isn't a perfect answer, but I think it does at least give you a lot of details to work with to make a well informed decision.

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Just because it is original format doesn't mean it isn't already compressed.   Tifs can be uncompressed, as Ryan alludes to, or they can have various types of compression.  From the quality I've seen in jpg's (which are compressed), I'm not sure why anyone would want to go with uncompressed files, unless their salary is somehow tied to the disk space being used.  Out of curiosity, did the requester provide any insight into their reason?

Nasir_McKnight
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Sometimes there is a business requirement from the state (for government agencies) that may impact what formats you are allowed to have.  Some require lossless compression types or only allow certain file types depending on retention (for example greater than X years must be in a specific format).  Of note JPEG can be lossy compression.

I would double check on if JPEG is the format in question for the photos.   Also are these physical photos being scanned or just digital pictures from a camera.  A scanner may have an impact on the compression.  As well as options available to you.  Some options are available only with TWAIN scan formats.

The government regulation says that once the images are captured, then they need to be saved in the same format.  Since the original images are made using a digital camera, we are committed to the file format/compression used by the camera.  We would use a Sweep or Import process to bring them in to OnBase, but I need to make sure OnBase won't compress or otherwise manipulate the files.  That way, when requested, we can copy the files out of OnBase to a secure disk, etc. and know that what we provide is an 'exact copy' of the original.