cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the REST API not auto-associate a file format to the ID# of that file format

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So I was reviewing some of the documentation and I realized that in one section (specifically for the "Archive document(s) with upload and metadata" that you have to identify the fileTypeId for the file format you are uploading. However, when you do the initial "Initiate Upload & Create Staging Area" call you pass the file extension of the file. Is there not a way to make it so that part of that response that it also includes the file format ID#?

As it is today, you get the response and then you have to execute the call to do the Gets the "best guess" file type for upload based on a given extension in order to get the proper ID# value for that file extension (or we as administrators have to put that value into the documentation that we are handing out to the appropriate end user).

If there is a way to get that fileTypeId value in that Staging Area Creation call, then please let me know how to do so. If there isn't, please please please consider adding this as an option (and even back porting the support of that return value) to all of the previous version of EP3, EP4, and EP5 and of course add it to the 22.1 (formerly EP6) version.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Scott_Johnson3
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi @Ryan Wakefield 

Did you know the existing Unity API does not even have that option?  We built it into our custom 

WS that calls the API.  It is very simple to add to your calling program.

Good Luck

I did not, no @Scott Johnson . The only problem is we don't have the Unity API. We have the Unity Automation API which is for Unity Scripts only really, but we don't have the Unity API that we can expose otherwise.

I kind of wish we did, but I also thing that with so much of Hyland's development efforts right now going into the REST API, it might be better that we stick with it as that is the go forward solution for them. Not sure when/if the Unity API (not Unity Automation API) might be deprecated, but I figured going with this solution for now is our best bet.....unless you can give me your thoughts on a reason to consider the purchase of the Unity API itself. lol