cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I shell out to an external program from Thick Client?

Seth_Fenster
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I am trying to call an external program using vbscript.  Ultimately, I'd like to have a button on a toolbar that launches an external program.  The only way I can think of doing this is to put it behind a button that calls a vbscript.  The vbscript I have works in Windows, but not from within the Thick Client.  Is this possible?

If it won't work this way, can you suggest another way to launch an external program? I thought about putting it into a Unity script, but the task is not associated with a document.

Here is my script:

dim objShell

set objShell = wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")

objshell.run "c:\temp\myprogram.exe"

set objshell = nothing

6 REPLIES 6

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

The easiest way to add an external application launch point to the thick client is as follows:

in the client, select User | Add/Modify Tool Item

here, you can specify the display name, command line parameters, and working directory of an external appliction.  This tool item will then be available from the user menu under the specified display name.

Seth_Fenster
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

It looks like I can only run a vbscript when a document or batch is selected.  Is there a way to run a vbscript independent of an underlying document  / batch?

I need to give users a way to launch this external program by clicking a button in the Thick Client.  There is no associated document for this action.

Thanks,

Seth

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

Correct - the VB script buttons are linked to there being a 'current document' and otherwise they are inactive.  The tool item method is really the only option for launching an external application that will always be available within the client, regardless of the current context.

Seth_Fenster
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Is there a way to add this tool item for all users for all computers? Or is this done on each client? If multiple users log into the client, will they all get this tool item? Or does each user need to create it?

Thanks