cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices? configuring file types to open with specified applications

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Are there any best practices out there for configuring file types to open with specific applications?

We have scientists that have a bunch of file types that require specific applications to open files.  The applications are only available on a select few workstations.  Is it best to configure each new file extension so it's a better user experience when the file is opened (on the right computer)?  I don't think these files will even upload if I don't set it up.  Or is it better to do something else that I don't know about?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

Please see the section of the System Administration MRG titled "File Formats" (in my copy of the SysAdmin1300.pdf it begins on page 331, with custom formats starting on 338). It contains all the instructions and descriptions of setting up file formats and is considered the Best Practice.

For your specific situation you should definately test it out in your test system. Setting up document types takes only a few minutes.

Try running the document types without a custom format...what do they default to during indexing? Does it work? If so, then you might not have to set up a custom format. If not, then you know that you will absolutely need to set one if you want these "documents" to be usable. But don't stop there...

When you set up the custom format in your test system does it work? Any error messages? Most custom programs open in an external viewer...how do users handle switching between the OnBase Client an this other program?