cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bar Code Disabled After New Scanner Canon DR-G1130 Installed

Michael_Snyder
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is OnBase 12 (sorry plans are in the works to upgrade to OnBase 16).  

We need to replace our failing Truper scanner with newly purchased Canon DR-G1130.  The old scanner used KOFAX with Bowe Bell Howe as the scanner source.

When we select KOFAX for the new scanner, the Canon does not come up as an option.  Instead we use TWAIN and the new scanner and model does come up as one of the choices for the scanner source.  We do have licensing for Production Document Imaging (Kofax or TWAIN).

Now when we scan our documents which use bar codes, we are receiving the message "Bar code disabled".  

Is there some additional plug-in required to enable the scan of the bar code?  Is there another option/selection within OnBase that is needed?  Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

Crystal_Piirain
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Michael,

Did you set the scanner up in the Kofax scanner configuration utility? You'll need to do that to get it into the list of available scanners.  

Michael_Snyder
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks for your reply Crystal.  Let me check with our hardware technician.  So the Kofax scanner configuration utility would be supplied with the Installation CD that came with the scanner?  I just checked the User Manual and under Software it only has a section for ISIS/TWAIN driver settings.  I know that under the old scanner we were using Kofax and Peagasus as an add-on for bar codes on our hard copies that needed to be scanned.  Now I see in the User Manual for the new Canon scanner it says Barcode Module (Product Code: 1922B001) Add-on software that enables barcode recognition by the ISIS/TWAIN driver,  and we do have two licenses for Production Document Imaging (Kofax or TWAIN).

Hi Michael,
Your Truper scanner came with Kofax VRS bundled as OEM software. Kofax VRS reads the barcode information and passes it off to OnBase. It will not work with any other scanner. You will either need to purchase the OnBase Bar Code Recognition Server license -OR- purchase a Kofax VRS Elite Production level license (part #VP-P005-0001). The Kofax license will only work on the scan station with the PC but you can use it for other scanners if you replace the Canon at some point. The Bar Code Recognition Server license would be more versatile in my opinion. You can add on the Canon CapturePerfect bar code module but I'm not sure it interfaces with OnBase whereas Kofax VRS Elite does.