Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory and Onbase UserName

Nick_Johnson
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hello,

I have a question regarding user names.  I would just like to know that if we incorporate Active Directory, will it change the user names to the Active Directory windows login names.  

Example would be:  My OnBase user name right now is Nick Johnson.  When merged with AD, will my OnBase user name change to njohnson, like my windows login name is?

Thanks,

Nick

6 REPLIES 6

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

From my experience an onbase login will be treated separately from an NT login so you will end up with duplicate accounts.

Your Nick Johnson "OnBase" account and password will still exist, but a new user will be created called njohnson and added to whatever onbase user group has been mapped to the AD group.

Nick_Johnson
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Eric,

So if we integrate with Active Directory then everyone who already has an OnBase Account will then have two accounts?  Which account will be used then?

Thanks,

Nick

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

It depends on the client.

If using the Thick Client then those users that log in with an -AL switch will use AD credentials.

If using a Web Client, then those users connecting to a Web Server that has been enabled (web.config or Web Application Management Console) will use AD credentials.

If using the Unity Client, then those users who's obunity.exe.config file has the service location with a flag set for UseNTAuthentication="True" will use AD.

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

If you want to get some deeper technical information take a look at https://training.onbase.com/PremiumCourse.aspx?ID=658

I had the pleasure of working with Tech Support guru Adam Shane to record this premium course.

It is a few years old, but the content is still relevant. There have been some changes, especially AD - Enhanced mode which makes the mapping of user groups dramatically easier than the "the names must match" I used to rely upon. You can find out more about the new settings in the Network Security MRG