cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Keyword that is too long

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
We have a customer who has some archived data that they want to bring into OnBase via DIP. One of the "keywords" on these documents that they would like brought in is over 500 characters long. As we all know this is far too long for a keyword in OnBase. Have any of you run into a situation like this before, any suggestions on how to easily keep this information?
16 REPLIES 16

Jan_Richard
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Nina,

I don't know if this will work for your needs, but this is what I did with survey data that had a lot of long text responses.  The data was exported from Qualtrics (a web-based survey site) into a csv.  We then created a Word mail/print merge template(which included the questions and placeholders for the responses) and loaded the data into it.  I then "printed" it to one big PDF (data from 270+ respondents) and created a Visual PDF process to import and split them into documents.  The IDs were part of the data, so the documents got indexed as they were imported.  The whole process took a couple of hours to configure, and now I have it for when they conduct the survey next year.

-- Jan

James_Edwards2
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We had the same issue.  To get around it, we took the 500+ character text fields and turned them into multiple instances of the same keyword.  This way you can still search against the field in the usual way.  All you have to do is write a script (VB, Perl, etc) to modify the DIP file. That is -

find the field in each record

is it greater the 250 characters?

if so, copy the text afer character 250

write it back to the dip in chunks of 250 charaters each,  with "FieldName: "  appended to the front of it

Sorry I didn't see Riddhi's comment above until now so I'm editing my comment. I agree with him.

-Jim