Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendition/Revision

Nathan_Ngo
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out how the rendition works. 

We are trying to create a PDF Rendition from a Word document. I am starting to get the impression that after you stamp the version of the revision document that you will use Batch OCR to convert the document from Word to PDF. 

Is that correct or how can I perform this action that it will become a rendition of the Word document?

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6

Ediz_Tufekciog1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Where you able to find solution? I know its possible but I can't find the information anywhere,

Mike_Walkuski
Employee
Employee

Hello Everyone,

You can use Workflow and the "Create PDF/TIFF File" action to accomplish this. It will create a PDF or image rendition of Word documents for you. 

More information on this action can be found at the link below

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/Workflow/English/Foundation-22.1/Workflow/Studio-Workflow-Action...

I hope this helps!

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

From my testing, there are multiple things you need to be aware of regarding Rendition/Revision.

1. When you open up the document, if that Document Type has a default file format of PDF (Type ID# 16), but you import a Word document (Type ID# 12) into that document type, after you create a PDF rendition then it will always open the PDF rendition first, even if you create a TIFF rendition, the PDF rendition will always take precedence as it is the Default File Format.
  2. However, if the Default file format is say an Image File Format (Type ID# 2), and you import a TIFF image and then create a PDF rendition of that TIFF file, when you open up that document it will always pull open the TIFF image as the primary document to view, NOT the PDF. This is because the default File Format for the document is Image File Format and thus that overrides the more recent rendition of the PDF creation. Not saying you can't open up the PDF rendition, but if you want to do things like checking out or whatever the document, it will check out the TIFF image, not the PDF image.
  3. The final scenario is let's say that the default file format is Image File Format (Type ID# 2), and you import a Word document (Type ID# 12) into that document type. Then you go and create a PDF (Type ID# 16) rendition of that Word document. When you go to pull open that document again, it will still try and open the Word document rendition. This is because since there wasn't a rendition that matched the default file format, then it will open up the rendition that has the lower Type ID#, which in this case is the Word Document.

I haven't done much further testing with file formats with Type ID#'s higher than the PDF of Type ID# 16, but I have a feeling if I did, then I would be running into a similar situation. All of this testing was done using 20.3.43.1000.

I do hope this helps. If there is anything in here that might be wrong, then please correct me on it. However, this is what I gave to FLOS when I was working with them and they hinted at that what I found out is working as intended.

Thanks.

Ryan Wakefield

Hey Ryan,

Your statements are correct with a little caveat that we also provide a setting to control the Display behavior as well.

You can find more information at the following link or in the System Administration MRG.

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/System-Administration/English/Foundation-22.1/On-Premises-System...

24e5eb0993264090aad5ccdb02756ef8

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.