cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCR 18.5

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

We just recently upgraded to 13 SP2 and we also have IDOL.  The new MRG states that the OCR format cannot have "Do Not OCR PDF docments" checked and that the Output format should not be changed from ASCII Text.  I know that is if you are running OCR on the server, and using Data Capture with pagination enabled.  We are not currently enabling Pagination unitl we are done testing so we installed OCR for the client on the server. My question is this, can we modify OCR format to set output to PDF image with searchable text until we enable pagination?

thanks in advance,

Nat

7 REPLIES 7

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I tried sending this earlier but got a bounce back message:

Yes, I have the client on the server licensed for Batch OCR.  I was hoping to stop this, but it seems I need it set up until I turn on DCS and pagination. IF I am using batch OCR for legacy purposes, can I make modification to OCR format to text searchable PDFs?  If I do not need it installed on client, even though I am not using DCS and pagination, I would be interested in setting it up correctly.  I set it up this way with help from FLOS but they were unsure if I could modify OCR format.

Thanks,

The reason Batch OCR is still required is because IDOL needs to get a text rendition from somewhere, and the solution prior to the pagination features was to send the documents through Batch OCR prior to IDOL indexing so the text rendition was present and accounted for as IDOL and OCR were not directly linked.

The client and 32-bit OCR engine performing OCR in the interim do not need to be installed on the server, just any workstation that has an ODBC connection to the OnBase database. The documents can be accessed by the client OCR engine since they will simply be in the database/diskgroups when the batch moves into the Full Page OCR scan queue step.

You can modify the OCR Format, but I would recommend just creating a new OCR Format in the meantime and assign that to the document type(s) being OCR'd for Full Text Indexing. That way you don't have to modify the default Format and lose any settings. And then switch the OCR Format back to the default on the document type(s) when pagination can be turned on.

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Thanks for the suggestion Tommy. I will do as you suggest.

Much appreciated,

Nat