cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Files into OnBase through Unity Client or Think Client

Margaret_Huang
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I am a newbie to OnBase system. We are mainly using OnBase Plan Review in Unity Client. I have a couple of dozen of folders on the local file system, and need to import them into OnBase through Unity client, or OnBase Think Client. I want to find a good method to do this.

(1) There are various amount of files in each folder, from 3 - 30 files. File format is PDF and word docx.

(2) Document type and keywords in OnBase have already been configured

(3) The files in each folder will been indexed with same keywords, but one.

(4) There is a keyword: filename, which is supposed to copy the name during importing.

I can use the Import button in Unity Client, and get them in one file at a time, but like to see if there is any better way. Can I import the files in from one folder at a time with some automation to pull the filename into the keyword "filename".

Since this is just one time only process, I won't be able to get management approval for purchase extra license, such as DIP. We have the license for Local Government Production Document Imaging (Kofax or TWAIN) if there is anything I can use the function in there. In my Unity client, the button Batch Scanning is grayed out.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

Ray_Gerwig
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi Margaret.

Once you have registered the Document Imaging license on your workstation Unity Client, you should be able to Sweep in those documents, one folder at a time. (In the Batch Scanning window) You will want to select a Document Type and enter the common Keyword Values before performing the Sweep. Also, you will want to Sweep in a Full-Index mode (radio-button), so the entered Keywords will be assigned to each imported document. The filename should be imported automatically onto each document as long as the system keyword FileName is assigned to each Document Type you import.

View answer in original post

Ray_Gerwig
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

In your configuration for your filename Keyword, under Keyword Type Settings, select the Processing File Name Keyword checkbox in the bottom right corner of the window. I think that's all you're missing!

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Gerwig
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi Margaret.

Once you have registered the Document Imaging license on your workstation Unity Client, you should be able to Sweep in those documents, one folder at a time. (In the Batch Scanning window) You will want to select a Document Type and enter the common Keyword Values before performing the Sweep. Also, you will want to Sweep in a Full-Index mode (radio-button), so the entered Keywords will be assigned to each imported document. The filename should be imported automatically onto each document as long as the system keyword FileName is assigned to each Document Type you import.

Margaret_Huang
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your help! I have the Sweep working with my folders, except the filename.

Would you explain a bit more on this:

"The filename should be imported automatically onto each document as long as the system keyword FileName is assigned to each Document Type you import."

This is where I am in OnBase Configuration:

Document Types -> Select the Document Type -> Keyword Types -> Keyword Type Selection. In the available Keyword Type, there isn't a keyword called FileName there. Am I missing something here, although in the Selected All Keywords, there is one called "File Name". How do I know if a keyword is system keyword or not?

Ray_Gerwig
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

In your configuration for your filename Keyword, under Keyword Type Settings, select the Processing File Name Keyword checkbox in the bottom right corner of the window. I think that's all you're missing!

Exactly! Thank you so much for all your help!