cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Scan Queue -> Capture option "Unique Bar Code Keyword Match" work with barcode scripts?

Grant_Wong1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

If I read the MRG correctly, this setting allows us to append scanned pages with the same barcode value into the same document presuming we set the value to UNIQUE in the barcode process (and probably using the "Only Match in Same Batch" checkbox so it only applies to the current scan).

Can we use this function with barcode scripts?  Our PDF417 barcode is a compound value that we parse with a script into separate keywords.  Each barcode page will have a unique code, but one of those keywords will match across multiple docs.

Testing seems to show that this doesn't work as desired with my PDF417 barcode.  Is there a workaround?  Or am I using it wrong?

If I'm using it as designed, does the setting rely on the barcode value read in?  Or does it reference the keyword value?  Or is it a return code from the script?

One other detail - we're using Disconnected Scanning.

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Grant,

Yes - you can use unique bar code keyword matching with values that come from VB scripts on the bar code.  In order to do it, in the script, you would use the methods SetKeywordByNameEx or SetKeywordByIDEx.  The Ex versions of the two methods take an additional 3rd parameter that is True or False to mark the value as unique.  So, for example, if you are extracting 3 keywords out of your PDF417 bar code (we'll call them types "A", "B" and "C" and you want the value for "B" to be the unique one that will be matched on, then you'd set the values like this:

Barcode.SetKeywordByName "A", strValueA

Barcode.SetKeywordByNameEx "B", strValueB, vbTrue

Barcode.SetKeywordByName "C", strValueC

This will set all three keyword values, but only the value for "B" is considered unique for the purposes of the unique bar code keyword matching (the perform match and/or only in same batch settings still have to be turned on in the scan queue settings for them to be considered). 

Since a VB script on a bar code can (and usually does) set multiple keywords, we don't pay any attention to the unique true/false setting in the bar code configuration itself like we would for a single non-script bar code, we instead want the script to explicitly say which are unique and which aren't, using the mechanism I described above.

Hope this helps solve your issue.

Hi Steve,

that works great in the Thick Client, but doesn't seem to carry over to Disconnected Scanning.

Without the setting, in Thick and DS I get a series of 1pg documents (barcode is new doc).

With the setting, in Thick it combines as expected, but in DS everything remains single paged.

I am using "Append Entire Document" and "Only Match in Same Batch". I made sure to bounce the appserver and reload my Disconnected Scanning configuration as well.

The documents are in Awaiting Index and the messages show that the barcode reads and parsing were successful (key icons have the correct values).

Is there something more we need to do for Disconnected Scanning?

Thanks!

Grant_Wong1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
[deleted]

In the case of DS, it doesn't actually perform the bar code keyword matching until time of upload (the application server does the work, not the DS client). Did you try uploading the batch to verify that, once archived, the keyword matching is performed as you want it to?
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.