cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop scanners

Monte_Vandeusen
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I understand how to determine which scanners will work with OnBase. But I am interested to know whether any OnBase customers are able to share positive or negative experiences with any desktop scanners - from an operational point of view. We want to deploy several hundred scanners to remote offices, and would like to know about the lemons and the plums. How do they hold up, maintenance issues, complexity to operate.

I found an earlier reference to this, but it's several years old...

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

Kerri_Chapman1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Following with great interest.  We definitely seem to have some lemons.  We wanted to be able to try some models before investing, and Epson had a decent loaner program.  However, we're now at a 50% success rate with Unity Scanning.  On paper, these scanners are compatible (we're talking DS-760 and 860 models).  In two offices, they work great, but in two others, we have repeated instances of the scanner losing communication with the computer.  We've had calls with Hyland about this situation, but we can't seem to remedy it.  We appreciate the Fujitsu recommendation, but are gun-shy to invest fearing that we might end up in the same situation.  Anyone else experience similar problems, particularly with Unity scanning?

Thanks all,

Kerri

Monte_Vandeusen
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

As the original poster of this thread, I want to thank everyone who has contributed...

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

We use disconnected scanning with a Fujitsu 6800.  This setup works GREAT! (even over USB 2).  We've never had the scanner "drop off" of the machine, but I'd suggest there's a hardware issue if your seeing the scanner disconnect from the computer.  If you have hardware that has USB 1 ports, don't use them.  USB 1 has an issue recovering from a devices sleep mode (USB Wireless devices were unreliable because of this), and USB 1 is too slow for decent scanning.

While scanner specs are indeed important to the overall solution, don't overlook the scan station.  The disk speed, RAM, processor, and NIC are all important to getting a quality scan uploaded into your solution in a timely fashion. 

Fujitsu sells the 6800 with Kofax, which is a nice bonus.

Simon_Amos
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Response to Tracey's post - We purchased Fi-5530C2 scanners and we've been having an issue with the Pad Assembly.  When scanning large amount of Duplex documents ink builds up on the pad assembly and this causes an extremely annoying screeching noise.  Replacement Pad assembly's have not lasted more than a week before creating noises.  Have you heard of this issue?

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
Simon, It seems to me that any document with ink that rubs off onto anything is rather unusual. I don't know that I'd fault the scanner when the surface of the pages isn't dry and indelible. Cleaning with alcohol will probably clean the ink but harden the rubber compounds. Hopefully you can solve this paper issue by perhaps running the pages into the scanner in landscape mode and building in a 90 degree rotation. Scanning in the length of 8.5 inches is much faster than scanning in 11 inches anyway. I'm sorry you're having such a problem in the first place.