cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Documents to Image File Format - OnBase as a service

Tony_Rush1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi, we're using 'Convert Documents to Image File Format' Image Processing on a Scan Queue configured to Auto-Perform Image Processing.  With the OnBase Client running interactively, everything works great; VPD is automatically invoked after sweeping and the resulting TIF is stored in OnBase.

However, when running OnBase Client as a Windows Service with -SCHED, the sweep occurs but the Image Processing just freezes and ultimately throws an error after it times out.  Using task manager, we can see that dmpmon.exe is sitting idle.  I'm assuming that because 'Convert Documents to Image File Format' Image Processing requires the launching of the 3rd party software (Adobe Reader, in this case), OnBase Client running as a service is not able to launch the software and therefore freezes.  However, I could not find this documented anywhere.  Can you confirm?  If that's the case, would an enhancement be possible to allow this type of Image Processing with OnBase running as a service?

30 REPLIES 30

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

I've seen this problem happen more and more, and I am convinced that it is being caused by the 3rd party viewer (Word, Excel, Adobe, etc.) that we ask to print the document to the VPD simply can't/won't run when in service mode.  These applications are only expected to run in user mode and sometimes fail when they can't interact with the desktop.  Unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do from the point of view of the OnBase code - other than we're forced to run the image processing client in user mode as well, so that when it instantiates the other applications to do their native printing they are also running in user mode.

Tony_Rush1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks Steve!  To your point, I didn't see the Adobe Reader process in Task Manager so launching it in service mode must be the issue.

Tony_Rush1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Steve, I wanted to briefly revisit this.  I was looking more into this and found a topic where someone used FoxIt to print the PDF in service mode instead of Adobe (http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/133392/Printing-a-pdf-from-a-windows-service).  However, when I install only FoxIt and set it as my default PDF viewer, OnBase Image Processing (running in user mode) does not invoke FoxIt.  Is Image Processing hardcoded to use Adobe and if so would an enhnacment to allow FoxIt even be feasible?

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

When we print it, we ask the Windows shell to decide what the printing application should be...when you set FoxIt as the default for PDF, did you do so in the Windows control panel for all users on that machine?