cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Scanning vs Sweep Folder

Chris_Heikell
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I am working with an offsite customer using remote access, to whom I cannot apply a batch scanning license. A work-around I have come up with is to give them a folder that they can scan files into and then Onabse will sweep them into a scan queue automatically on a schedule.

What are some of the disadvantages of using this method instead of Batch Scanning?

If I want to import the documents from the Scan Queue to Workflow directly without user intervention, is there any way to differentiate the documents or will they all have the same name because they came through a single scan queue?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Christopher,

There's no functional difference between documents that are scanned and those that are swept, except that sweep is able to ingest documents of all file formats whereas scanning generally only produces image file format documents.  Otherwise, once they enter the scan queue they will follow the same downstream processes as configured in the scan queue regardless of how they initially came into the scan queue.  Regarding your second question, when the documents are sent to Workflow they will all be named according to their auto-name settings based on document type, so again here there would be no difference in how they are named between scanned documents and swept documents.  The scan queue name generally doesn't appear in the document auto-name, unless of course you have explicitly configured the document type auto-names with a scan queue name.

Elizabeth_Bond
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The only big difference I can think of is via the sweep folder you'd only be able to pick one document type vs. batch scanning the user could select different documents.

We use both in our system, depending on what the user needs, works pretty well.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.