Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcoding- Creation, Questions, and Insight

Ryan_McCarthy
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello community,

At my facility, we will be using barcoding for many of our documents. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on how these barcodes work exactly? I would like to know:

What barcoding formats are accepted?

Does the size of the barcode matter?

Does landscape vs. portrait play any part on the barcode working correctly?

Does the location of the barcode matter, or is the entire document scanned?

What software/website should we use to create these barcodes?

Finally, where are the barcoding settings within OnBase?

We are currently using Valco scanning, and will be upgrading to OnBase within these next few months. We have ran into countless problems within Valco, and I would like to try and avoid these issues while implementing OnBase. Our discovery visit is next week.

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Susan_Ruttenber
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In OnBase Configuration Under the import menu is where you set up a barcode process, they are not difficult but they do have nuances.  There is drop down in that window will tell you the barcode fonts that OnBase recognizes.  Most use a 3 of 9. 

The size of the barcode does not matter as long as you tell it the height in this seutp window. 

There is an area to tell it what the barcode/barcodes denote.  Is it only the document type, keywords or both.

Where is located is defined by the X & Y axis that is where is actually is (use a ruler).  Then you have the X Y deltas.  These are used to tell OnBase how far from the X and Y point it can search to find the barcode, you can tell it to search the entire page if need be and there is only one.   If you are using more than one barcode make sure that the delta's don't overlap as OnBase will not know which keyword to populate if you are using the barcode for keywords (indexes)

Orientation of Portrait or Landscape does not matter it is all about the X & Y location of the barcode itself. 

I personally have barcode fonts that I drop into the Windows font directory and I type my own.  If you have the ability you can  have a printer put them on the form for you.  I have used them like a mail merge to create them from an Excel file when I needed a large amount of them.

Again this is not hard and once you have it setup you apply it to the scan queue that will be using the barcode process you defined.  

Again not hard but there are a few gotchas and one is the overlapping of the delta's, read the MRG it is not hard to understand and the help files are easy to use as well.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Susan_Ruttenber
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In OnBase Configuration Under the import menu is where you set up a barcode process, they are not difficult but they do have nuances.  There is drop down in that window will tell you the barcode fonts that OnBase recognizes.  Most use a 3 of 9. 

The size of the barcode does not matter as long as you tell it the height in this seutp window. 

There is an area to tell it what the barcode/barcodes denote.  Is it only the document type, keywords or both.

Where is located is defined by the X & Y axis that is where is actually is (use a ruler).  Then you have the X Y deltas.  These are used to tell OnBase how far from the X and Y point it can search to find the barcode, you can tell it to search the entire page if need be and there is only one.   If you are using more than one barcode make sure that the delta's don't overlap as OnBase will not know which keyword to populate if you are using the barcode for keywords (indexes)

Orientation of Portrait or Landscape does not matter it is all about the X & Y location of the barcode itself. 

I personally have barcode fonts that I drop into the Windows font directory and I type my own.  If you have the ability you can  have a printer put them on the form for you.  I have used them like a mail merge to create them from an Excel file when I needed a large amount of them.

Again this is not hard and once you have it setup you apply it to the scan queue that will be using the barcode process you defined.  

Again not hard but there are a few gotchas and one is the overlapping of the delta's, read the MRG it is not hard to understand and the help files are easy to use as well.

Ryan_McCarthy
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Thank You for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer Susan. It is much appreciated.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.