cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Placeholders in cells of a table in MS Word

Stephen_Beck
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I have a template that includes 3 separate tables each with 4 columns that require placeholders.  One table has 7 rows, one table has 5 rows and the third table has 4 rows. In each cell of each table, I have placed a keyword placeholder.  when I have the template open in Word everything looks fine.  However, when I do a Composition Preview with a real source document, everything goes haywire with some placeholders that are supposed to be in adjacent cells listed together in the same cell and some cells not even shown at all.  Are there certain things that need to be looked out for when using Placeholders in Word tables?  I am using Version 12.

Steve Beck

5 REPLIES 5

Jordan_Polaniec
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello Steve,

This is a known issue and I have added you to the SCR that exists for it.  In the meantime, you can mitigate this problem by performing the following:

After each Placeholder in the table, place a space immediately after it and then remove the space.  This will allow the table cell to be properly composed with your value in it.  If this does not solve the issue feel free to contact your first line of support and they can work with you to reach a resolution.

Thank you,

Jordan

I have run into this issue as well.  I did similar to what Jordan has suggested and added a space in the cell before the placeholder, but I didn't delete it.

Jordan, What is the SCR # for this?  Since I found a quick workaround, I'm pretty sure I never reported this particular issue with my first line of support and would like to ensure we are added.

Thanks,

Jordan_Polaniec
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Tharon,

The SCR # is 144324.  

Thank you,

Jordan

Kelly_Smith
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making
I too am experiencing this same issue - 2016!
Can you please advise if this issue has been resolved since 2014? We are currently using Version 15.
Thanks, Kelly