cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Composition (OnBase 17) - "The application encountered a critical error and must be closed."

Chris_Gallagher
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We have several users that are experiencing issues with the creation of letters at random parts of the day. The users are typically creating a letter via DocComp and once they complete the user prompts that are on the unity form they receive this error: "The application encountered a critical error and must be closed." Then the document closes out and nothing was saved; leaving the user to have to recreate the document. They typically also receive an error at the bottom of their screen stating that there is an Error Communicating with the Server.

Has anybody else experienced this? Have any idea what it might be or where to begin looking?

It doesn't occur to the same template every time or to the same user every time.

We work for an insurance company and have approximately 100 individuals creating letters throughout the day. Employee's are beginning to get very frustrated so I'm hoping to be able to identify the issue and resolve it.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Melissa_Koltisk
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Chris,

Due to the difficulty of determining which variables in your environment might be contributing to this issue, I recommend reaching out to your first line of support for troubleshooting assistance.

Allan_Schon
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Chris,

Based on the "Error Communicating with Server" portion of this, I would start by checking to see if your internal network is having some difficulty.  That message comes from the infrastructure of the Unity Client when it can no longer reach the application server.  It's very possible that a network interruption due to something like a faulty switch could cause this collection of errors.  If your team checks everything out and that's not it, I would follow up and contact your first line of support. 

These kinds of general errors can be a little tricky to diagnose, so if it doesn't look like a networking thing you'll want to start capturing all the logs you can for machines that are failing.

Allan Schon

Principal Architect, CCM

Hyland

Derrick_Maldona
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello Chris,

I hope that you having a great week.  Whenever I have encountered these symptoms, it usually means that an infinite loop is set up with the placeholder that I am using.

What happens with this is when a condition is set up within placeholder that inserts the very same placeholder. What happens is that the placeholder is stuck in a state where the placeholder is constantly evaluating the condition until it eventually fails.  Ensure that the conditions attached to the placeholder are not inserting the same placeholder, usually by inserting a Fragment with the same placeholder within.  I hope that this information helps.  If it does not please reach out to your first line of support.  Thank you for reaching out on the Hyland Community.

Thank You,

Derrick Maldonado

QA Analyst II

Mike_Maxson
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Chris,

Quick question on what client you are using during the composing of Word Documents.  Are you in the Unity Client, Web Client, etc.?  Just curious as we experienced similar issues when composing documents in the OnBase Web Client.  It was a doozy to troubleshoot as it was coming at us intermittently like you stated above.  What we were able to determine is during the composing of the document (Please Note: Not using the Enterprise Document Composition Service) IE 11 was not releasing memory.  Just curious if this is your case as it turns out it is an SCR in the Web Client and the Compose Document Workflow Action.