cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with null middle name keyword

Roger_Linhart
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

My source doc has first, middle and last name as three separate keywords. In my template I wish to use placeholders such as:

[First Name] [Middle Name] [Last Name]

It is possible the middle name keyword will not be populated and I'd rather not have the extra space included if this is the case. I thought I could use two conditions for this:

• When the Placeholder Value is Blank Do not insert anything
  • When the Placeholder Value is Not equal to any other condition Insert Text [SPACE]

and then not include a space between Middle and Last Names. The problem with this is the wizard would not accept a [SPACE] character for the Insert Text.

Am I over thinking this? Is there an easier way to deal with this?

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew_Matson
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

What comes to my mind is to create 2 fragments: One with all three placeholders, and one with only the first name and last name. Then create a placeholder on your main document and evaluate if the Placeholder value is Blank then insert the first and last fragment, if it's not then insert all three.

Phil_Heineman1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Andrew's 2 fragment approach is solid.

CAUTION: There was an issue that didn't allow these conditions to be used together, but I understand there was an SCR to address it. This was a little tricky as you could add the conditions and they would test just fine in Word. When you reopened the template or composed a document, only the latter of the conditions that were added remained.

was broken in 11.x and looks to be working in 13.x; not sure exactly where it was addressed.

Jordan_Polaniec
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello Philip,

You may be thinking of SCR 116491 which addressed an issue with configuring Blank and Default conditions that had symptoms of what you mentioned.  This SCR was completed prior to 12 being released and the fix is in 13 as well. 

If anyone is interested in getting more details on the SCR, feel free contact your first line of support.

Thank you,

Jordan

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.