cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log entry string is too long.

Chris_Mckinney1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We have one user who gets this exception frequently when coding/approving invoices and using ad-hoc tasks. Has anyone had this problem before?

b43746a1e1054d3eba81e5c7a759602c

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

As you can probably guess, this exception is thrown by Windows when we attempt to write a message to the Windows Event Log that exceeds the maximum length for such messages. (Windows Event Log is intended for concise messages: the limit of 32766 characters is approx 10 pages).

I assume that whatever the error message is, it's not preventing the user doing their work, or causing their work to be incorrect (apart from the annoyance of experiencing the exceptions themselves)?

But it's still a good idea to find the error message that's causing the exception, even if to confirm it's a false positive.

The bad news is that the exception doesn't give any information about the actual error message (this may be for security reasons).

The good news is that the same error message may be written to the OnBase Diagnostics Console (which doesn't have a hard limit of 32766 characters). 

So if you have Diagnostics Console running, and you know what time the exception occurred, you should be able to identify the error message in the Diagnostics Console Error Tab. 

Once the error message been identified, we can see how to get rid of it. Since it doesn't seem to be causing any harm, it's possibly an informational or diagnostic message that's misclassified as an error, and we may need to reclassify it (and shorten it!). 

(Incidentally, since OnBase 22.1, this exception won't be seen. It is handled by the logging framework and not propagated to the client)

I'm struggling with the same issue and have not yet been able to track down the message that's causing the issue. I'd challenge the claim that it's been resolved in 22.1 because that's the version we're on and it's still a problem.

Any other thoughts?

Brett

NOTE: this comment was updated on 2024-02-08 to correct the versions of Hyland Logging (4.1 was corrected to 14.1 and 4.2 was corrected to 14.2) 

The Hyland.Logging fix was made in version 14.1 of Hyland.Logging. 

OnBase 22.1 includes version 14.2 of Hyland.Logging, so the fix should be included.

You can confirm if you have the fixed version by checking the version of Hyland.Logging.Core.dll in the bin directories for the Application Server and/or the Unity Client.

The fact that you are still seeing the error, implies that something else is attempting write to the Windows Event Log directly. (For example, an exception in a 3rd-party dll could attempt to write to the Event Log without going through the OnBase logging framework) 

These are the things I would check:

Is there a specific thing the user is doing when they see this message? For example, are they executing a particular workflow task, or navigating to a specific queue, or applying a particular filter ?

Is there anything in the Diagnostics Console ?

Is there anything in the Event Log ? (e.g. the event log message that triggers the exception may be one of a group, and other messages in the group may be shorter, and get written successfully)

Is it happening for a single user, or for any user ?

Does it happen on a specific workstation, or any workatstion ?

Did it just start happening? If so did anything change in the environment ?

(You may already have covered these during your own troubleshooting.)

For further assistance I suggest you contact your First Line of Support. You can reference this post so they have additional context.

Julien_HYVERT1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Chris and Paul,

One of my customers is experiencing the same error with OnBase 22.1.23.1000:

When displaying a report from Reporting Dashboard in the Unity Client we have the following exception (Translated from French to English) :

"The log entry string is too long. A string written in the event log cannot contain more than 32766 characters".

The Unity Client become unresponsive, and the user needs to restart it.

In event viewer we have this information:

Nom du journal :Hyland

Source :       Hyland

Date :         29/01/2024 11:10:09

ID de l’événement :0

Catégorie de la tâche :Aucun

Niveau :       Erreur

Mots clés :    Classique

Utilisateur :  N/A

Ordinateur :   XXXX

Description :

System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: L'initialisation de 'System.Windows.Setter' a levé une exception. ---> System.NotSupportedException: Impossible de trouver un composant d'image adapté pour terminer l'opération. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Le composant est introuvable. (Exception de HRESULT : 0x88982F50)

--- Fin de la trace de la pile d'exception interne ---

I have enabled the following keys in the Web.config file of the application Server:

-> In app setting : <appSettings>

<add key="reportServiceTraceLevel" value="0"/>

-> In <Hyland.Logging>

<Routes>
<Route name="DiagnosticsConsole">
<add key="Http" value="http://localhost:8989" />
<add key="minimum-level" value="Trace" />

But I have no logs in the diag under error and report.services tabs.

Did I miss something in the log activation ?

Do know how to solve this issue?

Best regards.

Julien.