cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the depreciation of Automation API....

Lynn_Fyhrlund
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

With the depreciation of the Automation API and the Unity API becoming the main API, is it still possible to have Script Hooks that can be used by the thick client? Such as we have a script currently that adds a keyword to identify where the document is coming from for workflow. I can replicate this in a Unity Script and get it to work in the Unity Client, but not in the thick client using the Unity API.

My question I guess is to completely understand that as OnBase progresses forward we should use the Unity Client to index if we have script hooks involved that do work after indexing? That the Thick client will lose the capability of using script hooks.

We are using OnBase 13.0.1.574 SP1

Unity 13.0.1.81

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick_Ramser
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is interesting. The Automation API isn't at all being deprecated. We removed DMCoreX, however, from OnBase starting in 15.

The VB-based script hooks that previously worked in the Thick Client should function largely the same unless they were calling into that DMCoreX logic. Do you know off-hand what kind of scripts you're currently using in your solution?

What type of entry point they use like "Function Main" vs. "Sub Main35"?

Nathan_Kossover
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

To build further on Patrick's response, neither the Thick Client Automation API nor the ability to execute Script Hooks in the Thick Client are going away.

The ability to execute DMCoreX scripts in the thick client has gone away in OnBase 15 - however, this is unlikely to impact Thick Client Script Hooks as that framework did not provide easy access points to DMCoreX as some of the other thick client scripting points did. You could theoretically call DMCoreX from inside a Thick Client Script Hook, but pragmatically it was difficult to do and didn't give you much advantage over the automation API. We rarely saw anyone do it.

You can choose to move to the Unity Client to execute script hooks if you desire, but you are not being forced to do so.

Nathan_Kossover
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Lynn -

Were our answers helpful? Do you have any further questions on this?

Thank you -

Nathan

Lynn_Fyhrlund
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

No, I got what I needed to work. Thank you.