cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your backup solution?

Aaron_Bowersock
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I am currently  reviewing our backup solution for our onbase server, database and disk group's.  I wanted to post here to see how other's are backing up their onbase solution. Currently I am doing  a backup to tape and were looking at adding a mass storage backup or a cloud based offsite such as eVault.

That being said were nearing the 1TB mark and looking at eValut solutions is getting pricey when getting into that neighborhood of storage.  How and what are you backing up?  We thought about using authoring to burn and then delete only older disk groups so not so much would be in the eVault.  But I am still wondering how bigger solutions than mine are handling this.

5 REPLIES 5

Anthony_Ballo1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We are using a Unitrends appliance. We perform a Incremental, file-level backup, every hour of the OnBase Disk Groups to co-inside with hourly Incremental database backups using the Unitrends application-aware (MSSQL) agent.

Unitrends, like other vendors probably, has a "Incremental Forever" policy that you can choose to employ. We use this on our larger data shares. Once a physical Master is created, future Incrementals are only needed. These are then rolled up to Differentials via synthetic jobs on the appliance, with new a new Master being synthesized as well after considering the following:

-Amount of data being protected on the backup system
-Number of days from the last synthesized full
-Number of incremental backups in the current chain
-Load on the system

.... or, at most, every two weeks.

So at any point-in-time, you will have a Master, a Differential since that Master, and any Incrementals since the last (synthetic) Differential.

Then there are also Hyper-V backups (Full and Incrementals) of the virtual servers themselves (Web, Forms, and Application) daily and Bare Metal backups weekly.

So, three levels of backups: File, Application and Machine (Hyper-V or Bare Metal) are performed.

PM me if you would like more information.