cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewer Options DocPop, OBXAltDocumentSelect Svcembedded in winforms

Smitha_Challa
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We have a client who wants to view his onbase documents reports in a windows forms application.

The application uses a silverlight control for printing and viewing.  The application opens a web browser control for each report it opens, so each browser control contains the silverlight control. Each report that is open is a new tab which is a new instance of silverlight that is open. Silverlight is no longer supported by Microsoft and we are having issues with printing. So we are trying to find alternatives for Silverlight.  The reports look colorful.. 

Is there a way we can  interface with Onbase’s Report Viewer,DocPop.. Can we open Docpop in a webbrowser control embedded in a windows forms application. 

I was looking at the SDK and there is are some ActiveX controls like OBXAltDocumentSelectSvc Control orOBXAltViewerSvc (onbase 13).  Which one of these would is recommended for the above scenario.

This is an example of how the report shows in the aspx page. The control on the top right side is the silverlight control used mostly for printing.  This whole report does not use any onbase viewer. The code does a   _HttpContext.Response.BinaryWrite( byteData ) to show the report on the page. And for printing there is some more xaml code. I am wondering if there are any onbase viewers. I have 2 options to replace the whole silverlight control: first option is leave the way report is displaying as is and somehow change the print. Is there a printing APi I could use from Onbase? Second Option: Change the viewer to an onbase viewer which comes with its own printing.  I like the first option!!

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Nathan_Kossover
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Smitha -

You can indeed write a windows form application using the ActiveX Controls to view a document. We'd recommend using HylandViewer.ocx; OBXAltViewer.ocx is available for backwards compatibility but should not be used for new development in 13+. You can also use this for .aspx pages if needed.

With that said, if using the web is an option (and you did say there were already .aspx pages) it may be a lot easier to use something like DocPop to simply open the document in the web client. That's available out of the box with minimum coding.

Nathan

View answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Nathan_Kossover
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Smitha -

You can indeed write a windows form application using the ActiveX Controls to view a document. We'd recommend using HylandViewer.ocx; OBXAltViewer.ocx is available for backwards compatibility but should not be used for new development in 13+. You can also use this for .aspx pages if needed.

With that said, if using the web is an option (and you did say there were already .aspx pages) it may be a lot easier to use something like DocPop to simply open the document in the web client. That's available out of the box with minimum coding.

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Thank you. I have used DocPop for this requirement. Sometimes they only want to see pages 2 through 10 and not the whole document.
Regarding HylandViewer.ocx: Do you have any examples for this viewer like a sample application. I would need to use it with aspx pages.
We use Onbase 13 for this project.

DocPop (and the HylandViewer.ocx) both support the ability to automatically move to page 2 of the document. Page 1 will still be loaded though.

There are ActiveX examples in the SDK.

Scott_Poti1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

From experience I would say use DocPop. It is wayyyyy easier! and you have the option to Open Workflow using DocPop as well.

Thanks. yes I agree that docpop is way easier. This may be a silly question Can I open docpop inside a webclient on aspx page?
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.