cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Group Privilege default

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I want to set a default Privilege configuration for any new User Group being created.  Currently, 'Personal Page Configuration' is the only item checked, so there must be a way to set the default.   All of my User Groups need to have the same Privileges - and I overwrite permissions at the DocType level.

How can I set the User Group Privilege default?

Thanks!

-Sheila

2 REPLIES 2

Larissa_Armand
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I'm not sure of a way to do exactly what you're asking, but here are two ideas:

1. You can copy an existing user group whenever you are creating a new group and choose which aspect (privileges, document types, etc.) are copied to the new group. 

2. You can create a user group with the default privileges you want to assign and put all users in that group, then assign only the document type/override access to the other groups. Users will then have cumulative access for all the groups they are a member of. Ex: user is in two groups, Group 1 has all privileges, Group 2 assigns document type access but doesn't have privileges (except for doc type overrides).

Larissa - I am unable to copy a User Group to create a new one.  I can copy a DocType, but not a User Group.  I am on v.17.0.2.  Is this a new function for 18?

I have a couple hundred groups.  When I get a new process, I automatically have 2 new groups.  One is for 'Staff' and one is for 'Admin'.  All of my groups get the same basic privileges -  View, Retrieve, Full-Text, etc (about 16 items checked).  Then I add a couple more for Admin (Import and Indexing items).  Then the permission to Create, Delete, etc are given on the DocType override.