cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Multiple Web Server App Pools

Austin_Barber1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I think I'm overthinking this, but how do you update multiple web server app pools to a newer version of OnBase. When I look at the OnBase server updater tool, it shows my web servers on version 18. I've updated my app server to the latest version, EP5. I've run the web server installation and configured it during setup. Do I need to manually copy the files from the installation appserver folder over to the other app pool folders for it to update? Do I need to run the web server installer multiple times? I'm kind of confused on what I need to do next to update them. I've gone back and watched the web server installation and troubleshooting videos in the training. I didn't see anything in there that helps answer my question. I've tried a couple different searches in different areas of the forums but nothing is coming back to me that looks similar to my issue. 

Thanks any assistance!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Austin Barber ,

The OnBase Server Updater tool is only used to update web apps (OnBase Web Server, Application Server, etc) within a version of the software.  It does not upgrade to new version of the software.  If you would like to upgrade, you'll have to use the installer to upgrade one instance and then copy to the other instances accordingly.

I'm sure there is a way to script this out if you would like (PowerShell).  The installer has command line shortcuts as does IIS.

Best wishes.

View answer in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Roger_Linhart
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

We have two instances of the appserver web service and three instance of the appnet web service. For our upgrades we upgrade one instance then copy the contents of the appserver or appnet folder to the other instances. At a minimum you need to update the virtual directory in WAMCON then any other configuration changes there and in IIS Manager. This method does preserve the IIS configuration of the instances that you just copied.

Do you copy everything in the appnet folder and overwrite everything in the folder that you are copying the files to? Do you then have to go into the web.config or into any of the files to make changes so that you point it to the correct instance? Will copying the files from the appnet to the other web services folder then show that the web services has been upgraded to the new version?

@Austin Barber 

Our process is to upgrade AppNet first. Then for the remaining instances, we rename their virtual directory,  adding the old version number at the end, then copy the AppNet folder and rename it to match the old virtual directory name. This preserves the old instance web.config settings and IIS settings. Then we use WAMCON to make any changes, at a minimum the virtual directory path to configure the new instance.

Doug_Kupec
Employee
Employee

Great discussions. One additional strategy:

1. Install Web Server, Application Server, Diagnostics Components, and Web Application Management Console (WAMCon).
  2. Use WAMCon to configure your primary Web Server and Application Server.
  3. Then use WAMCon's Copy Application Feature found under Tools. The dialog will prompt for the new Application Name and a new Application Pool:

56d8fe17f992413dadcd65350bdd9964

The final step is to configure the newly copied application. The Copy Application Tool is available in version 17 and later.

Also WAMCon's Export and Import feature allows you to migrate setting from an older or current version to a new version or even to another Windows Server.

hope this helps,

Doug

@Doug Kupec 

Another cupcake from Doug 😉

Thanks! I did not know about this feature. Does this wipe out the old web.config in the target directory?

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.