cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Multiple Web Server App Pools

Austin_Barber1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I think I'm overthinking this, but how do you update multiple web server app pools to a newer version of OnBase. When I look at the OnBase server updater tool, it shows my web servers on version 18. I've updated my app server to the latest version, EP5. I've run the web server installation and configured it during setup. Do I need to manually copy the files from the installation appserver folder over to the other app pool folders for it to update? Do I need to run the web server installer multiple times? I'm kind of confused on what I need to do next to update them. I've gone back and watched the web server installation and troubleshooting videos in the training. I didn't see anything in there that helps answer my question. I've tried a couple different searches in different areas of the forums but nothing is coming back to me that looks similar to my issue. 

Thanks any assistance!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Austin Barber ,

The OnBase Server Updater tool is only used to update web apps (OnBase Web Server, Application Server, etc) within a version of the software.  It does not upgrade to new version of the software.  If you would like to upgrade, you'll have to use the installer to upgrade one instance and then copy to the other instances accordingly.

I'm sure there is a way to script this out if you would like (PowerShell).  The installer has command line shortcuts as does IIS.

Best wishes.

View answer in original post

16 REPLIES 16

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Austin Barber ,

The OnBase Server Updater tool is only used to update web apps (OnBase Web Server, Application Server, etc) within a version of the software.  It does not upgrade to new version of the software.  If you would like to upgrade, you'll have to use the installer to upgrade one instance and then copy to the other instances accordingly.

I'm sure there is a way to script this out if you would like (PowerShell).  The installer has command line shortcuts as does IIS.

Best wishes.

Hi Adam. I was looking for something more along the lines of what Roger mentioned above. I'm trying to update the web servers below to EP5. Do I have to manually copy files from the AppServer64 to the web server folder to show that they are updated? I'm confused on how to update the web servers to EP5. Sorry if I wasn't explaining it correctly in my original post. 

fb25488ada7c4fbfb13bde8e31545c50

Hi @Austin Barber ,

Web Servers and Application Servers are different web applications.  Web Servers service the presentation layer and Application Servers perform processing.  Therefore the files are different between the two.  There are many that overlap between the two (i.e. the Core files), but there are many which are only applicable to the respect web application.

Based on the screenshot above, AppServer64 is an Application Server and Login is a Web Server.  As @Roger Linhart mentioned, you would have to use the installer (Setup.exe) to upgrade a base instance of the Web Server and Application Server on this machine to EP5.  Then from there, you could use WAMCON or manually copy the folder (and update IIS where applicable) to create a new web application for a different purpose (e.g. a second instance of AppNet or a second instance of AppServer).  

I would hesitate on recommending you copy over a previous directory from a previous version of the web app (i.e. don't copy your OnBase Foundation EP5 files over an OnBase 18 web app).  While it is possible all of the files will be overwritten, there is no guarantee and then you might have files from a previous installation in the new folder which could cause problems.  Also, I would always assume the web.configs are different between versions (better yet, always assume web.configs are different even between builds) as there might be new settings or other changes.  Instead, you should remove the previous configurations for the manually created web apps and then create a new ones either using WAMCON or manually (i.e. outside of the base installation which uses the installer and will be upgraded using the installer).  Make sure to backup your web.config and note any other special configuration settings.

There is a section in the Web Server and Application Server MRGs about manual installation.  

Best wishes.

Hi @Adam Shane 

So if I understand you correctly, I need to create new web servers each time I update to a new OnBase version? The three that I blurred out are web servers that we currently use. Just looking to update them and the login one to EP5. I've run the web server installation already. I can uninstall it and reinstall if need be. 

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.