cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity and OnBase Upgrade 9.2-12

Jason_Brownlow
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

My organization is planing to Upgrade to 12 from 9.2.  We have a 3rd party application that uses Untiy to present documents to customers online.  I'm looking for information on any changes between the Unity API for these two versions that might impact our document retrieval.  The code is fairly basic document retrieval based on a few keywords.  While I expect there will be no real change the API the process of confirming this is pushing deadlines for the upgrade.  Can anyone direct me to the appropriate documentation or give me a quick rundown of any potential differences in the versions? 

8 REPLIES 8

Charles_Hepner
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

My organization has applications that integration via the Unity API.  I know that the connect method has changed between 9.x and 12.  I'm not sure if the old method was left in for backward compatibility or not.  If not, it could break your integration.

Craig_Statt2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

j,

The connect method of old is still part of the API; however, it is depricated.  Your question is a little too broad and hard to answer without knowing the code.  Recommendation is to obtain the latest 12 API SDK and verify code against

C

Timothy_Cosgrif
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

The connect method has changed to accept an AuthenticationProperties object. The old methods have been marked as deprecated, but they will not break your build.

As for any other methods. We do design and test the API so that newer versions are backward compatible with older versions, so you should have no problems with the upgrade. The back-end architecture may change slightly, so it would still be pertinent to at least do a small smoke test to make sure everything functions correctly.

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

If you're returning documents back from the application, depending on how you did it, you may run into issues. For instance, if you were doing something like this:

Dim byteData As Byte() = New Byte(pageData.Stream.Length - 1) {}
pageData.Stream.Read(byteData, 0, pageData.Stream.Length)

That code worked in 9.2 but will not work in 12. You can't read directly from the pagedata stream anymore, at least not like that. There are more details in this thread: https://www.hyland.com/community/technical_communities/onbase_apis/f/10815/p/9810/17549.aspx