Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL maintenance jobs

Michelle_Troxel
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi,

We are working on getting the SQL maintenance jobs for updating indexes and statistics in place. I'm still trying to confirm what has been going on for 4  years since we went live. We seem to have performance issues every few months. We update indexes and stats and things are happy again. But it's not controlled so it's always an urgent thing to get it happy again. Not ideal!

Specific questions:

When you run the jobs to update indexes, do you take a downtime? It seems that this job in particular causes locks on the db and brings the system down to the users. 

When you run the jobs to update indexes, do you stop the HL7 pr other services, lock the users out? 

How often are you updating stats and indexes? Hyland said monthly should be good but weekly would be better. I can't imagine taking down a system weekly to do this.

The statistics jobs don't seem to interfere much with the users. They may seem some occasional slowness but they can still function.

I do have the documentation from Hyland. I wanted some real world input. We are on 18 right now, upgrading to EP4 soon.

thanks!

Michelle

(PSA - I am not a dba, I'm parroting info)

3 REPLIES 3

Garrett_Weber
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm fortunate to work in the finance industry so we don't operate overnight so our SQL job is able to run weekly early in the morning and finishes without issue before any of our OnBase Timers start, but I do consider the that two hour window scheduled downtime each week for those tasks to complete.

Prior to scheduling this timeframe as I have we did have issues where timers would start executing before the index and statistics jobs could finish creating database locks causing more headaches on top. 

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

If you are using the Unity Scheduler with Tasks scheduled to Execute at regular intervals you can use daily Execution Windows to specify times when these Tasks may execute. For example, if we want to prevent tasks executing between 0130 and 0330 weekdays:

6c39da1b28674c5b86f9328d9dafb5d7

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

If you are using the Unity Scheduler with Tasks scheduled to Execute at regular intervals you can use daily Execution Windows to specify times when these Tasks may execute. For example, if we want to prevent tasks executing between 0130 and 0330 weekdays:

Wow, I didn't even think about this. Grantes this can be a very difficult thing for healthcare customers seeing as the reception of documents, HP7 messages to process, and more can be time sensitive. So this could be a very interesting balance to do. Hmm....good to think about though.