cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Client Launch

Eric_Banks1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

When our users go to launch the Thick Client it can take anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute after double clicking the OnBase Client icon before the Logon Status Window appears and client loads. Is this a normal timing or is there something I can check to make the load response time faster?

19 REPLIES 19

Harold_Cruz8
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I have ran into this problem as well with Onbase 11

Its not consistent, sometimes it would launch right away, other times it would take 30 secs - 1min to launch.    This happens the moment you click "OK" when entering your id and password.

Justin_Fandl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

If you are using NT/LDAP Authentication you may want to add a specific domain within configuration so that it knows exactly which one to use without having to lookup all active domains.

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Everyone.

While I can't say that it is the authentication process, I have seen a number of instances where the Thick Client is waiting on a response from Active Directory which in turn makes it appears as though the client is hanging upon login.  To troubleshoot this issue you can run verbose as previously mentioned to log all activity during the login process.  My recommendation is to only use the -V switch without the SQL at this time (the -V SQL will add SQL queries/statements to the log file which are not necessary at this time).  The verbose file will be in the TEMP parse path (ie Start | Run | %temp%\verbose.txt).

In the verbose file you are going to want to look for Client Side gaps.  You will see timestamps before and after the AD login processes.  For instance, below is the start of the authentication process.

>> 12/06/2012 14:42:06:975  [Thread:10208]

class dbUserAccountEx *LogonUtils::OB_Logon_Validate(int,int,const char *,const
 char *,const char *,const char *,int): LOGON: check user security

>> 12/06/2012 14:42:06:976  [Thread:10208]

You can see that there is a gap of .001 (ie 1 thousandth of a second) in the time it takes to run this particular check.  What you are going to need to do is look for a gap that is substantial (maybe 10 seconds).  This will help to identify if it is AD that is the culprit of the login lag.  If you see a command which is taking long to run, please post it and I'll see if I can assist further. 

Thanks.

Adam,

We are experiencing a 47 second lag in the thick client login (progress bar at 90% - Checking Menus). We used the -V switch and got this info:

>> 04/25/2013 15:03:54:349  [Thread:5300]******** Section: Loading User Preferences  **************** Section: Initializing the DDE  **************** Section: Initializing Mail  ********>> 04/25/2013 15:04:41:552  [Thread:5300]

This is after upgrading to version 12 and moving to a new server. The client logs in OK after the lag and everything works fine. The users are concerned that something might be wrong, but no errors. They say the did not have this happen on the old server.

Any clues appreciated, Thanks,

Christopher_Tes
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing a similar issue.  Here are the biggest gaps:

>> 10/07/2014 12:37:55:177  [Thread:7844]

void OBActiveDirectoryAutoLogon::OBTraceSink::LogMessage(bool,const char *,char  *): Successful bind to AD group.  Checking user membership. (Not including  FSPs)

>> 10/07/2014 12:39:02:733  [Thread:7844]

void OBActiveDirectoryAutoLogon::OBTraceSink::LogMessage(bool,const char *,char  *): Tesch,Christopher M is not a member of G-OnBase HIM Scan-Index (CN=G-OnBase  HIM Scan-Index,OU=Applications,OU=Groups,OU=Accounts,DC=ad,DC=ah,DC=local)

>> 10/07/2014 12:39:05:666  [Thread:7844]

void OBActiveDirectoryAutoLogon::OBTraceSink::LogMessage(bool,const char *,char  *): Successful bind to AD group.  Checking user membership. (Not including  FSPs)

>> 10/07/2014 12:39:51:577  [Thread:7844]

void OBActiveDirectoryAutoLogon::OBTraceSink::LogMessage(bool,const char *,char  *): Tesch,Christopher M is not a member of G-OnBase Clinic Scan-Index (CN =G-OnBase Clinic Scan-Index,OU=Applications,OU=Groups,OU=Accounts,DC=ad,DC=ah,DC =local)