Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riverbed with Unity and OnBase

Steven_Usher
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi.

I already know that Riverbed will give us 50% to 70% data reduction across WAN links (2x to 3x more bandwidth) but what I am looking for is people that are already using Riverbeds with OnBase or Unity and what your "rules" are.

Does Unity use the same protocol/port for normal navigation and a different set for file uploads/downloads? I want to know if I can identify the file upload and restrict its priority/bandwidth seperatly to the Unity application traffic.

ps. The 50%+ is based purly on http port 80 optimization of Riverbed out the box in our production environment using Unity over a 30min period. Workflows and file uploades included but with only 2 users.

Thanks in advance

Steven

1 REPLY 1

Greg_Seaton
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Steven,

Sorry for not responding to this sooner. Did you figure it out? All of the Unity Client's traffic to the Web/Application Server is done through HTTP (or HTTPS if you are using SSL). The port will be 80 if you are using the default settings for HTTP in IIS.

Most of the traffic from Unity will be to Service.asmx. Downloading of document data in version 11 and higher will go through DownloadHandler.ashx?guid={some_guid_value}. Previous versions use Service.asmx to download. Uploading document data in version 12 and higher is done through OptUploadHandler.ashx. Previous versions use Service.asmx to upload.

I have not used Riverbed before, but if you are using OnBase version 12, you would want to create a rule on OptUploadHandler.ashx. This would target uploading. If you are using an older version, all of the traffic for uploading would go through Service.asmx. It would be indistinguishable from any other request outside of XML parsing, but that would not be recommended.