Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering deleted documents

Richard_Evans1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi all! 

So I currently have nearly a million deleted documents in the system.  We cannot purge them to clean them up.  Several times a week we'll receive a request to recover a document and inject it back into work flow.  The problem we run into is the size of the trashcan and the  return limits in the Client's document maintenance queue.   No matter how we re-order the columns, there are times that we cannot go far enough back to select the document and undelete it.  

Does anyone know if Hyland approves specific SQL update statements?  It would be very helpful to update the status of a document that we can't retrieve in document maintenance from status 16 to 0.  Perhaps there's a task that's already been created that we can cannibalize? Perhaps the SQL that is executed when you click, "undelete selected"?  

Our current work around is to retrieve the document using the document handle and re-import it into OnBase, but then we have two.  

Thanks, 

Rich

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

Does anyone know if Hyland approves specific SQL update statements? 

According to the Database Use Policy, the answer is mainly no and will void your warranty. Hyland Tech Support may , on a case by case reviewed basis, make or approve changes. Your best course of action is to contact Tech Support to help you clean up document maintenance.

---------

General solution design questions for you-

Why are end users deleting so many documents that should obviously not be deleted? Is it that too many user groups have the Delete privilege? Or is it an automation like Workflow where incorrect logic is being used. For example, I want a document out of my workflow queue, but instead of using the Action "Remove Item from This Lifecycle" the action "Delete Document" is used instead. Is it just that document maintenance needs to be purged more frequently? (IE monthly instead of quarterly)

The reason I ask is that while Tech Support can help you with your current issue, I think that long term your solution needs to be reviewed and changed. Treat the issue, not the symptom.

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

Does anyone know if Hyland approves specific SQL update statements? 

According to the Database Use Policy, the answer is mainly no and will void your warranty. Hyland Tech Support may , on a case by case reviewed basis, make or approve changes. Your best course of action is to contact Tech Support to help you clean up document maintenance.

---------

General solution design questions for you-

Why are end users deleting so many documents that should obviously not be deleted? Is it that too many user groups have the Delete privilege? Or is it an automation like Workflow where incorrect logic is being used. For example, I want a document out of my workflow queue, but instead of using the Action "Remove Item from This Lifecycle" the action "Delete Document" is used instead. Is it just that document maintenance needs to be purged more frequently? (IE monthly instead of quarterly)

The reason I ask is that while Tech Support can help you with your current issue, I think that long term your solution needs to be reviewed and changed. Treat the issue, not the symptom.

Thanks, Eric.  I appreciate your time.  99.99998% (just to throw a number out) of the documents that are deleted should be.  Our installation services 30 state divisions and bureaus.  In some way or another, a new version of that document has been created and the older one is no longer needed; either through one of our more than 100k configured workflow actions or by the action of a user with queue admin or group policy privileges.  The number of documents in that queue is really related more to the size of our installation.  At this point, the queue only goes back three years.  Occasionally, a document that was deleted needs to be brought back for reference, which is where we run into the issue.  Outside of pulling the document handle, we get creative and sometimes rename it so that its first in the list by throwing a few A's in front of the name, etc.  

It would be helpful to have a faster option.  I had heard that the document maintenance queue may one day be searchable.  Is there any truth to that?  

Again, I really appreciate your help.  

Rich

I appreciate the insight, large solutions fascinate me.

There is a request through SCR 73714 - Enable search Functionality in Doc Maintenance. Tech support can add your organization to that list upon request.

Hi Eric,

Is SCR 73714 - Enable search Functionality in Doc Maintenance complete?

We have a large chunk of deleted documents that need to be recovered. They are all of a particular document type, looking for an easy and fast way to recover them.

Something along the line of updating the status of a document status from 16 to 0 would be helpful.