cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing new database for Configuration Migration?

Steve_Williams1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi,

We want to create a test environment from our production environment using the Configuration Migration tool.  We be creating a "Stand Alone Test System".

The MRG states:"Configuration Migration cannot create a test environment in a data source that contains data."

Also, There is a prompt for the "Destination Data Source User Name".  The MRG states that the user entered must have full access to the database and its tables.

Are the steps to prepare the database documented anywhere?  Our DBA will be doing the work and I need to know what to tell him.

We do have a Certified Installer on staff, so should be able to access DBUtils.  However, the Database Installation Guide does not make any mention of Configuration Migration, so it would be nice to be able to give clear direction to our DBA as to how to prep the new database for the OnBase install.

We are running OnBase 12 with Oracle 11g as our database.

Thanks,
Steve Williams 

3 REPLIES 3

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean there's not any documentation.

When I did this I just created a new database using SSMS. Since you're working with your DBA, have him create a new DB, add a login with enough permissions  (dbowner would be nice) that you can use during the migration. As for the db properties in general. he should be able to look at the prod db and match those settings.

I was working with an MS SQL db. Hopefully you can get better answers from someone with Oracle experience.

Michael_Butt1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Steve,  you won't need dbutils for this. You create purely a blank database with pre-sizing and growth based on how much data your going to put in the test system. I usually size very minimally because my customers only run small amounts of data through or large amounts of data for a short period of time.

Then before you run Config Migration from OnBase Configuration you make sure you have a database user that has enough rights to create the tables and populate the database. Also that you have a disk group location ready to go. When you run Config Migration it will handle everything, no DBUtils required. It also creates all of the database users and applied the appropriate rights. 

I will note though, that you will likely need your Certified Installer before Config Migration will run.  If you've never run it in your environment before you will be prompted for an upgrade code for your production database. I'm not exactly sure what it does to prepare it for config migration, but it does require a response. So though the changes might be small, I would make a backup of your production database prior to running because some sort of updates are made to it.

Hope that helps.

Steve_Williams1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies.  That helps a lot.

Cheers,
Steve Williams