Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSEG Community Conversation #2 - OnBase Documentation

Adam_Levine
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello, OSEG members!

Your Board of Directors has been hard at work in the past month to work on putting together content and exploring subjects with our Hyland representatives that are relevant to our group.  A subject which came up in our recent meetings with Hyland leadership was documentation.  We're about to dive in to some deeper conversations about what the community would like to see (in terms of improvement) and I'd love the opportunity to pass on stories from our membership to help drive those improvements.

OnBase Documentation - Two Levels

When I think about documentation, I see two different, distinct types of documentation which can be important to us as OnBase administrators, developers, and users:

1. Official Documentation - this is the sum-total of all Hyland materials available to us.  MRGs, official Community posts, and other content provided by Hyland could all arguably fall under this heading.
  2. Internal / Organizational Documentation - this is documentation that we generate ourselves, perhaps detailing procedures for executing certain Workflow processes, on-boarding a new user, or simply providing comments and explanation of features and functions which are specific to our OnBase implementation.

I think there is opportunity for discussion on both of these topics, and I'd be really interested in seeing what our members have to offer!

Do you have any success stories or areas where you see opportunity for improvement with Official Documentation from Hyland?  What practices (if any) do you employ in your own organization to help document and track processes, procedures, and comments on your applications?

Join the conversation and post your responses below!  We look forward to hearing from you.

29 REPLIES 29

Jana_Ferguson1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I agree with @Diane Johnson about having more "How To" guides.  I have found MRG's to vague.  If you want to accomplish do this would be more helpful.  Also I have found the MRGs at times are wrong.  Completely wrong.  FLOS wants you to follow the MRG but if the MRG does not tell you how to accomplish a specific task what good is the MRG.  

I appreciate that this discussion is being had internally.  

James_Perry
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I haven't seen any discussion about Documentation Type 2 -- Internal / Organizational Documentation. I'm about to embark on a project to get all of our keywords, doc types, workflows, groups etc. documented. I'd love to do this in a great big pivot table or Access database. But I'm open to whatever works and is easiest. If anyone has developed a system, I'd love to hear about it.

@Sandy Nielsen 

We use configuration templates in our Confluence Wiki to document details of our projects such as new Document Types, WorkView applications, Unity Forms, etc. We use the Wiki to document configurations and processes specific to our environment as well. The Wiki is great for collecting the details and comparing changes between versions of the page to note modifications over time. It is also completely searchable. We have only have documented items created or modified by my team over the past 10 years, so plenty has not been documented yet. The Wiki is also handy for creating focused instructions for end users.

No one person needs to know everything—they simply need to know who knows it.

Roger_Linhart
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

We use Jira for internal service requests. For this reason our user facing documentation is created in Confluence. This allows it to be surfaced in Jira Service Desk. Most of our internal documentation is done with Google Docs. Mostly for the superior editor and ease of sharing.

The most often used Google Docs are the 50+ page installation/upgrade checklist and 70+ page refresh checklist. We also generate dev notes for major solutions. I've found we frequently receive requests for similar solutions and the dev notes serve as a wonderful checklist, making it easier to not overlook complicated configuration requirements.

Adam_Levine
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I haven't seen any discussion about Documentation Type 2 -- Internal / Organizational Documentation. I'm about to embark on a project to get all of our keywords, doc types, workflows, groups etc. documented. I'd love to do this in a great big pivot table or Access database. But I'm open to whatever works and is easiest. If anyone has developed a system, I'd love to hear about it.

@Sandy Nielsen this subject did kind of get lost in the discussion around MRGs, but there was a lot of good conversation there so I didn't want to steer away from it.  I'm glad we found a topic that so many of us were intrigued about, so I may come back to internal/organizational docs in a future post.  We are in a similar situation with our team where documentation is lacking and I'm working to improve change management practices as well.  We're tossing around a number of ideas at the moment so this would definitely be something where I'd be interested in hearing others' success stories and/or challenges!

Sandy_Nielsen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We use configuration templates in our Confluence Wiki to document details of our projects such as new Document Types, WorkView applications, Unity Forms, etc. We use the Wiki to document configurations and processes specific to our environment as well. The Wiki is great for collecting the details and comparing changes between versions of the page to note modifications over time. It is also completely searchable. We have only have documented items created or modified by my team over the past 10 years, so plenty has not been documented yet. The Wiki is also handy for creating focused instructions for end users.

@Jim Perry  Any chance you could provide a sample or screen shot of your template?

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.